Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Min safety requirements for novice race? (Read 3,252 times)
slipNslide
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Min safety requirements for novice race?
Sep 6th, 2012 at 12:16am

Im prepping a 86 corolla gts for IP3 but I need a race in this year and clearly have no time to waste so i need to know what safety req's must be done to do a novice race and i can finish whatever else needs doing for ip3 over winter.
Hopefully before this september weekend i can have the car ready so i can have tech take a look to make sure i can run in october.
Ill have a full cage welded in that meets requirements, a kill switch on top of the driver fender, window net, still approved belts and the car assorted nicely. Also race suit, shoes etc. 
HANS required for novice?
Is 4 point belts allowed or must it be 5 or greater?
A part where i wanted to make sure, is for ip3 and novice are allowed to use oem seats?
Tow hooks required for novice?
Am I missing anything?

Many thanks for any help!

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Re: Min safety requirements for novice race?
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 12:29am

Prep for novice is the same as for a senior driver's car. Refer to the CACC safety regulations or direct enquiries to Jim Kurtz or myself (michael_currie@telus.net).

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 5:40am

Welcome 'Slip' you're in for a lot of fun with your GTS Smiley
Contacting Mike or Jim would be a good idea.
In the mean time;
Head and neck restraint is mandatory for ALL drivers in CACC race events.
5 points harness can be purchased at Mopac for $80 (I'm not sure if 4 point are available any more).
Race seat is mandatory, with head restraint and has to be attached to the cage (unless it is FIA approved).
You need tow hooks on front and back and they should be identified for easy/quick access.
A lot of SCCBC members have raced GTS's (Dave Stenner and Curt Storms for example) so if you post questions here you will get good advice.

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 4:03pm

IP3 cars must be prepared to the 2012 SCCA IT preparation rules. The safety requirements are as per the CACC rules. You can find everything on the CACC and SCCA web sites. Questions? Contact tech using the link on the SCCBC web site.

IP Logged

slipNslide
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2012 at 8:13pm

Thanks for all the feedback!
I just dont have the time to get it prepped for ip3 in time ill have to rent and prep it over winter for next season.
Went through SCCA and CACC to see all the rules so I know what exactly i need to do to make sure i keep it legal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print