Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Winter works (Read 3,853 times)
Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Winter works
Dec 31st, 2012 at 6:57am

I’d like to open a discussion on fuel cells, gas tanks, fittings, and anything else related to fuel systems. So…here goes:

I had a cautionary e-mail yesterday regarding the use of E-15 fuel. This is used explicitly for “flex fuel” vehicles and is not for use in other types of fuel systems. This got me thinking that it was time to remind ourselves that all our racecars should be checked.
Anyone who has a fuel cell in their racing car should check over the winter that the cell doesn’t leak, has no creases in the liner, and that the foam is not starting to break down. The last is the one that catches most folks out. Long term immersion in highly toxic fuels will eventually cause the foam to start to disintegrate. This, of course, causes blocked fuel outlets or lines and is a complete pain in the nether regions.

Our classes which run “pump gas” should also have their fuel systems thoroughly check to insure that all seals and connections are intact and doing their job.

I’ve started this with the idea that those with experience and greater knowledge can (and hopefully will) add their comments.

Happy New Year.

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Re: Winter works
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 2:24pm

Thanks Mike, I couldn't agree more.

There is another little wrinkle in the fuel cell business: If you use regular pump gas in a fuel cell, and use anything but 94 octane, its likely that the sponge liner material will breakdown even sooner.  The use of Ethanol mixed into the lower grades of fuel will attack that material. This is according to the user instructions printed on my ATL cell.

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 12:49pm

I'll echo what Mike said. Fia certified fuel cells have a five year lifespan. Check yours.
Also remember that the FIA seats which are 8855-1999 certified have a five year lifespan as indicated by the label on them which gives the date of manufacture.
8862-2009 certified seats have "Not Valid After" date stickers on them.
Check the FIA website for details on the above standards.

IP Logged

oldtransamdriver
Pro Circuit

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 4:35pm

Why do we need a 5 yr. rule on a race seat?  this is crazy.

It won't be long and there will be no newbies entering our sport
because we have priced them out!

Robert Barg

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 6:50pm

We (CACC &/or SCCA) do not have a five year rule for seats. The FIA only certifies the 8855-1999 seats for five years. These and the 8662-2009 seats need only be mounted in the car according to the FIA and manufacturers requirements See the FIA rules for clarification.

All other seats that do not meet the FIA requirements must have the seat back attached to the roll cage.

If you have a FIA seat that is past its expiry date,then it does not meet the requirements. My take on the way that the CACC and SCCA seat rules are written is that you need only attach the seat back of the expired seat to the roll cage and carry on racing.

On another note I see that there is still a number of people entering the sport, despite the requirements for modern helmets an FHRD and a restraint harness that meets the rules. I fail to see how anybody would base there entry into the sport based on a situation five years down the road.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print