Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
looking for first car and advice (Read 11,287 times)
Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Re: looking for first car and advice
Reply #15 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 8:25am

How much a season costs will depend on what you race and how much you race.  Here are some approximate numbers for an IP3 Integra GS-R that I race:

$250x7 = $1750 race entry costs
$150x3 = $450 brake pads
$50x5 = $350 fuel
$1800 for 2 sets of Hankook Ventus Z214 tires.  Go for 1 set of Nittos and you're looking at somewhere around $6-800, I guess?
$2000 on average for maintenance (both expected and unexpected).  Engines need rebuilding every few seasons, rules change so you need to buy new safety gear ($1200 last year for HANS device + new helmet), axles break, fuel tanks leak and catch fire, wheels fall off, etc.  In a good season you might spend less than this, in a bad season you'll spend a lot more.

This comes to around $6350 for a season of racing, just in terms of keeping the car going.  In closed wheel, this is close to the cheapest you'll find to be near competitive.  If you don't care about winning, you might be able do a season for $3000 in IP3, assuming absolutely nothing goes wrong (trust me, it will).

I don't know what costs are for Formula Vee.  Probably less.

Hope that helps.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #16 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 3:02pm

Well......let's try and make this simple, a per CACC race w/e 6 sessions, approx. 1hr. 40 mins. of track time:

entry fee.....same as above......................240.00
fuel...about 4 gallons Chevron 94.................30.00
brakes....last a year sometimes 2 (drums)......60.00
tires....."could" last all season as cheap as...300.00/set 
rain tires.....never rains here though Wink........500.00/set

All the peripherals that Jordy spoke of, safety gear, suit etc. FHRD, and so on a one time purchase. Broken parts are relatively inexpensive to purchase.....more serious damage, well let's just say....make sure you're properly prepared "before" you get to the track. This helps a lot for the little things that can easily lead to $$$$ items. There are enough owners of Vees and Fords at any given w/e that can help with any bits and pieces you might generally need to keep going. If it's a catastrophic issue Cry there are plenty of good folks that will help as much as they can.
It's not F-1, but, it's sure a lot of fun Smiley
See ya at the track.
Bob 

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

240CJ
Novice

In like a Lamb, out like
a Lion...

Reply #17 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 5:49pm

Hey Bimmerfest,

You mentioned a 240 in reply #5. I assume you are referring to a Datsun Zcar? If so, There is a local car that has fresh motor and drivetrain. Runs on Pump gas and is pretty fast. Parts are not as readily available as a Miata, but not too hard to find.

Let me know and I'll contact the owner.

Thanks,

CJ

IP Logged

ip2gsr
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #18 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 9:48pm

I think Keith is mistaken about the cost to run pro3...   If you want to run at the front of pro3, specE30, or spec miata you have to bring a cheque book.  I don't think the cheque is any bigger for pro3 vs the other spec series.  As far as the car build cost you can add shocks and a diff over spec Miata but that is typically a one time cost.  The pro3championship car from last year was on a stock style diff and Koni shocks so you don't have to bring the cheque book.  That said....  money helps.... alot!  The part I can't explain is the cost of built pro3 car is around 15-22k right now.  I guess it is supply and demand but the other spec series built cars are typically less.   

As a Pro3 guy and looking at your screen name I have a hard time believing you would be interested in anything other than a Pro3.  We had 43 cars start the nascar race at Portland last year.  We typically get over 20 cars to any one icscc race weekend.  In the pacific north west the is no class that has bigger fields but the Miata is a close second on most race weekends.   

This car looks pretty good for $5800. 
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280793
While it is not legal for pro3 it would not take much to make it legal.  You could run as is for the novice program and then swap out the parts when you get your senior lic. 

However the others have brought up some solid choices as well.  Miata and FV would be my next choice because of the excellent fields at Mission if you want a spec class.  IP3 if you like the variety of different cars.

Dave

IP Logged

bimmerfest
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #19 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 5:46pm

yeah i would rilly love a pro3 car i own a e30 as my dd but too much money at this point. Sad  on a side note whats the best place to pick up helmets and all the rest of the ppe ect.

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #20 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 8:25am

Frank @Drivers Edge.....604.298.5575

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print