Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
More practice days in 2014 (Read 5,252 times)
Doug F
Novice

West Kelowna, BC
More practice days in 2014
Sep 28th, 2013 at 7:07am

First I need to thank everyone for making 2013 such a great season. Thanks to the executive, turn workers and especially the safety crew. Having made frequent use of them this year, I have a much greater appreciation of their commitment. I'd also like to thank all the folks in Open Wheel, from Vee to Libre, for the comradery and on-track professionalism. Most importantly, I'd like to thank the boys in Formula Ford for all the help they've given me over these two years, Marty Knoll and Jim Keller for the excellent winter rebuild, and all the ontrack help from everyone in the class, especially Alan McColl, who kept me in it when things were looking grim. What other sport can you plow into the wall at turn 3 in two consecutive races and think it was the greatest season ever!

Which brings me to the topic of this post, and something I obviously and sorely need: practice days. Last year we only had three practice days. I would like to see the club schedule more practice days for 2014. Coming from karting, we paid $600 for membership for the year. This entitled each member to a key to the track gate, where we could kart anytime we wanted, 365 days/year, providing we had a spotter. I know this is not at all possible at Mission, but it would be nice to have 4-5 track days available for 2014. I suppose this would only be viable if there were enough demand out there for practice days. I'd like to get some idea if there is any interest in more practice days or am I just a voice in the wilderness. Any comments?

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
- Steve McQueen

IP Logged

Doug F
Novice

West Kelowna, BC
Pre-paid practice days
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2013 at 5:57pm

Okay, so that went nowhere. Then here's something else to think about. Instead of charging $60 for an annual club membership, let's assume each active (vs non-active/retired) member pays $210 annual membership. $60 of that will be put aside for club membership, as usual, and the balance ($150) would go toward booking practice days for members. I'm pretty sure we have more, but say we have 150 members. $150/member would put $22,500 into the club coffers, enough to cover say 4-5 track days each year. Each paid-up active member would then be entitled to attend up to, say, 3 or 4 practices free of charge each year, and then pay a fee ($115?) for any above that number. The club could schedule a practice on the Friday before every race, a schedule that members could rely on, knowing that they have the money in advance to cover it. Members would get 3-4 practice days for around $35-50/day. I expect I'm missing something and also expect that will be pointed out shortly. What do y'all think?

- Steve McQueen

IP Logged

Steve Hocaluk
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Re: More practice days in 2014
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2013 at 7:11pm

This item came up at the club meeting last night, which is the best place to have discussions like these.

There are two main issues with practice days, the biggest of which is not having enough volunteers to come and make the day happen, operationally.  Corner marshals, safety, pre-grid and control.

The other issue is the cost.  While your suggestion is creative, I'm not sure the balance of drivers/members, who cannot come out to practice because of work or other issues around week days, would be happy about paying such a high membership fee for something they cannot participate in.

We also have a very limited number of Fridays that we are allotted by our landlord.  Our rental customers scoop those up.  We are guaranteed to make money from a rental day, whereas we risk losing a lot of money should a practice day have a poor turnout.

We will be having two practice days in 2014, opening weekend and the Labour Day weekend.  We may consider scheduling another in advance of the weekend the big F.A.R.T. FV race is held, but that would be subject to track availability, volunteer availability and enough participation.

I believe the Vintage Club intends to have a practice day open to all drivers in advance of their race weekend.

Steve Hocaluk

IP Logged

Doug F
Novice

West Kelowna, BC
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2013 at 8:05pm

Yes, Bob and I were discussing this on Tuesday. Having this discussion here is useful, too. Not everyone can make the club meetings but almost everyone has a computer and can participate in this forum in their PJs. I don't know about others but I don't think $210 would be too high annual membership fee (karting is $600/year), especially when that would get you some guaranteed track time. And if you're making the same money renting the track to yourself as you would renting it to others, why wouldn't we offer the benefit of extra seat time to club members? I suggested Fridays because of the convenience, it could be any day, say on a weekend where there is no event.

- Steve McQueen

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 4:40pm

I think the issue that you would have is there are a lot of memebers who don't have race licenses and would not be taking advantage of the practice days and would object to the higher membership fee.

As Steve mentioned, we also have the issue of day availability and volunteer availability. As nice as it would be to have more practice days, unless we had more people step up to help run them we can't do it logistically.

As much as I would love to see more practice days, I could not support an increased membership fee to make it happen.

Just my 2 cents.

Marc

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

Doug F
Novice

West Kelowna, BC
Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 2:42pm

My suggestion is that the membership fee increase for only actively racing members, not members like yourself that don't actually race. Your rate wouldn't change.

It seems a wee bit early to be cementing the schedule in place for 2014 without a little discussion among the membership about the viability of a change like this. This is a practice that works for karting (who actually pay their corner workers and officials) where the requirements are the same: cover the operating expenses of a racetrack for the year while providing a viable venue for members to practice and race. Collecting the money at the outset of the year also provides a stable and predictable source of funding for events throughout the year.

Any active racers out there care to comment?

- Steve McQueen

IP Logged

alangbaker
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 2:55pm

Speaking as an active racer who'd like to be MORE active, I would definitely be willing to pay more for more practice days; be that an increase in my membership fees, or simply more for the day itself.

And furthermore, I'd be willing to pay with TIME.

If we have a shortage of volunteers to man the track, then why not offer people the option of spending a certain amount of the day working on track in return for time to practice?

Surely it's got to be possible for the day to be divided up such that the open wheel drivers can work the turns for the closed wheel drivers and then after lunch, the reverse.

IP Logged

2muchfun247
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Richmond B.C.
Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 6:00am

I would be more than willing to pay a bigger membership fee and I also think splitting the on track duties with the ow and the cw for practice days is a great idea .I am sure if we put our minds together we could make some thing  work ,. I also would like to wish Cherie and Andrei  the best of luck in the Mazda shoot out !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print