Hello, E-Crew (Read 4,893 times)
Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Hello, E-Crew
Mar 16th, 2014 at 9:40am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U4nbMbHz_E&app=desktop

Questions:

Did the driver not activate his on-board fire suppression system? Doesn't look like it to me.
Why doesn't this E-crew  have a tank of foam? Seems that would have been a great idea.

Your opinions and comments, please. I know we have some real experts in our E-crew.

IP Logged

backupbob
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Sechelt
Re: Hello, E-Crew
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2014 at 3:10pm

Maybe he did deploy his on-board system , its hard to tell but it looks like a busted fuel line throwing fuel out under the car  maybe a faulty pump but either way a ColdFire suppression system would have been a great help hear , But I don't think Crashcar sanction coldfire  I could be wrong . but this is going to happen in this series unless they reactivate the travelling safety team [ same as Indy car  / Champ car } or they specify coldfire systems at the tracks they are running at

Safety 1

IP Logged

ip2gsr
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 12:14pm

It looked to me like a fluid leak under the car and once it ignites on the tarmac there is not much the fire suppression system in the engine bay or passenger compartment would do.  IMHO

A question to those smarter than me.....   Did they use water from the hose to put that out or is there some other chemical in there.  I was always instructed that water on an oil or gas fire is a big no-no. 

Dave
arm chair fire fighter....

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 5:39am

I've read that the driver kept trying to start the car, thus adding more fuel for the fire.

But, after the driver was out there was no evidence he'd set off the fire suppression system. The first guys on site appeared to be using water which actually spread the fire.

A good dousing of foam would have pretty much put the whole thing out and saved the car. IMO.

IP Logged

backupbob
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Sechelt
Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 8:01pm

FYI , on our two safety trucks we have a coldfire suppression system with approximately 50 gallons of foam in each, deployed correctly should be all we would need , that being said we are constantly looking at new and improved ways to ensure the safety of the drivers / crews and workers at Mission Raceway . And as we always say if you want to know what we have come and see us , we will show you what we have ,Because we are proud of them.  in fact I would go so far as to say that our two trucks are probably the best equiped trucks for our needs . coupled with a great crew, who love doing what we do . Maybe one race weekend we can do a show and tell .   

Safety 1

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 8:55pm

I think that's a great idea. I hope someone can find time to do exactly that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print