Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does the championship point system make sense? (Read 3,397 times)
Doug F
Novice

West Kelowna, BC
Does the championship point system make sense?
Oct 8th, 2014 at 8:19am

I'm just a relative newbie to this sport so will defer to the sage advice of the veterans, but I really don't get the championship point system that SCCBC uses. I'm in Open Wheel where FV, FF, FL, FC and SR classes compete. A few of the classes are so small that you just need to show up and you get 9 or 6 points. Other classes have more cars so the competition is fierce and collecting points ain't so easy. As a result, the best racer in OW doesn't necessarily become the champion. It can just as likely be the racer with the fewest entries in their class and the best attendance record. I suspect the effects of this awards system is similar in CW. Should anything be done to remedy this or is this the best configuration possible? Do we want this to be an attendance award or something that's fought fiercely and proudly earned?

To me, it would make more sense to assign the awards within each individual class (FV, FF, SR, etc), rather than group (OW, CW1, etc), much in the way SR already has the advantage of being separated from the rest of OW. I know this system is the same as CACC but so what? Do we need to be unfair just so we're different? If we want to keep this system, how about requiring a minimum participation per race in a class before points are awarded of, say, 3 cars?

I'd appreciate hearing from all y'all on this, especially from the old-timers.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2014 at 9:53am by Doug F »  

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
- Steve McQueen

IP Logged

Pass Tense
Novice

Senior Racer

Vancouver
Re: Does the championship point system make sense?
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 11:06am

Check out www.caccautosport.org/

CACC and SCCBC championships are seperate. CACC breaks down by class whereas SCCBC does it by group.

And.. your currently 2nd in CACC!!  Smiley

1991 IP3 Civic #32

IP Logged

Doug F
Novice

West Kelowna, BC
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 4:08pm

Yes, I know SCCBC tries to break it down by group, but even that isn't entirely true. For example, SR races in OW but has their own division for points, even though there is only 1 or 2 SRs at most races. I suspect SR was broken out of the OW group because, with so few in that class, they would win the championship every year. Which makes my point.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
- Steve McQueen

IP Logged

Alan_McColl
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 8:54am

The way points are given out isn't fair to the smaller classes because the class with the most entries has an advantage over the the smaller class.   

If you have 8 entries in one class and 15 in another  the bigger class has more points awarded than the smaller class. The drive in the small class can win every race and loose out the the drive that doesn't as many 1st place finishes.

Why don't we use the same points system as CACC everyone gets the same points as long as the class qualifies to be recognized as a class based on minimum entries per class.

The drives in the smaller classes work just as hard as the drivers in the bigger classes to be fast and reliable and to make every event so why not reward them equally. Wink

IP Logged

Steve Hocaluk
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 11:52am

Great topic to bring up at a Club Meeting!   Wink

Steve Hocaluk

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print