Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Time attack safety questions (Read 2,648 times)
Jeremy
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Time attack safety questions
Feb 13th, 2018 at 6:09pm

Hello everyone,

I'm preparing a cheap car I got for lapping days and time attack for the upcoming season. I plan to try and do most the time attack no pass events this season to try and keep cost down.

I have run into part of the GCR that has me stumped. I have a Kirkie roadrace seat for the car. I was looking up requirements for mounting and such and found a hurdle. Everything in the rule book is in reference to cars with cages. In there it says the back needs to be tied into the cage.......I don't have one or need on for no pass.

I was planing on mounting the seat and then using a factory 3 point (like lapping days). I don't know if I feel comfortable installing a 6 point harness into a car with a fixed back seat and no harness bar to tie the shoulder belts into. If I do install them the shoulder belts will be at an angle that would think would seriously compress my back in an accident.

I guess my question is what can I do for time attack no pass to get a seat that supports me in corners and will pass tech.

Thanks,

Hope to meet a few of you out there.

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Re: Time attack safety questions
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 1:07pm

You should contact Campbell Carlyle (tad@caccautosport.org) who is the director in charge of this. He will be able to advise you.

Thanks for asking.

Mike Currie

IP Logged

Jeremy
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:49pm

Mike_the_Oldest wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 1:07pm:
You should contact Campbell Carlyle (tad@caccautosport.org) who is the director in charge of this. He will be able to advise you.

Thanks for asking.

Mike Currie

Thanks Mike.

IP Logged

ip2gsr
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 5:48pm

Jeremy wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 6:09pm:
H

I was planing on mounting the seat and then using a factory 3 point (like lapping days). I don't know if I feel comfortable installing a 6 point harness into a car with a fixed back seat and no harness bar to tie the shoulder belts into. If I do install them the shoulder belts will be at an angle that would think would seriously compress my back in an accident.

I guess my question is what can I do for time attack no pass to get a seat that supports me in corners and will pass tech.

Thanks,

Hope to meet a few of you out there. 

First off....  thanks for reading the rules.....   

I'm a road racer and not a tech official but if you don't have a cage you would not require a rear seat back brace.  This assumes that the rules allow an alternate seat in the first place. 

A seat belt has to be tight across your hips to work properly.  The Kirkey seats normally have a small triangular shaped opening that close to the base of the seat.  If you use a stock belt it should not be over the top of the seat side support.  Can you get both the latch and the belt through the hole on the left and right side of the seat so that it can be worn properly?  I would guess not but that would be my concern. 

Certainly the time attack tech folks would be more informed and as Mike mentions Campbell would be the right path to get in touch with them.

Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print