Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ross Bentley - What good is this substack thing? (Read 167 times)
Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Ross Bentley - What good is this substack thing?
Oct 1st, 2023 at 3:30am

I had trouble getting the the individual URL this morning (and I'm too lazy to make a big effort), so here's a 'cut and paste' copy.

Forwarded this email? Subscribe here for more

What Good is this Substack Thing?
State of the Stack.
ROSS BENTLEY

OCT 1

READ IN APP

After five months of publishing here on Substack, I want to post about a few things.
First, I want to thank all of my subscribers, whether you’re on the free, paid, or founder level. Obviously, without you, I could still write here, but it would be lonely and the sound of my fingers on the keyboard of my laptop would echo around my little studio office. For sure, it would be a lot less fun if I knew that no one was reading what I was writing.
In my experience, most writers have doubts about their abilities, and it’s only when they find out that people are actually taking the time to read what they’ve spewed onto the page, that they have some reassurance. I certainly fall into this category. If I knew that no one was reading what I write… well, I’d still write, because it’s how I learn, how I get clear in my thinking. But again, it would be a solitary process, and I am much more inspired to write when I know that you’re reading it. Thank you.
For me, writing is very much like driving: I’m constantly focused on how to do it better. At times, I get into flow and can’t type fast enough to keep up to what’s coming out of my mind, and yet, there’s a bit of that “Am I good enough?” paranoia that keeps me pushing to learn more and try for an even faster lap time... err, better way of writing something.
When I stopped publishing Speed Secrets Weekly last November after 500 issues over nine-and-a-half years, I didn’t know what was next for my writing, but I knew that it was time for a change because I felt like I was in a rut. When I learned about Substack (I received some great advice and coaching from Jack Baruth – you really should subscribe to his Avoidable Contact Forever – thank you, Jack), I felt like this was exactly what I was looking for, as it would offer a bit more freedom from just writing another “how-to” column every week. I suspect you’ve noticed that I haven’t struggled at all to come up with something new to write about each week (and even more often than that!).
One thing I like about writing a regular column of some sort, as opposed to a book, is the interaction and feedback from readers. A couple of weeks ago, for example, while coaching at Indy, I had half a dozen conversations with people who had read something I’d written here on Substack. And I do read every single comment left after I post an article here (although I will admit it took a bit of time for me to get through all of them on Monkeys, Late Apexes & Classroom Sessions!).
I love the near-immediate feedback: The Likes are kinda like my lap times, and the comments like the data and video review after a session.
So, I hope you continue to provide feedback. And don’t worry about disagreeing with what I’ve written. As a member of the human race, sure, I’d love for everything I do to be loved and appreciated by others, but I know that’s not realistic. Plus, the only way to write stuff that agrees with everyone is to write mediocre stuff. I’ve heard it said, “To live a remarkable life, be prepared for people to make remarks about you, some good, some bad.” I like this philosophy.
There are also two Eleanor Roosevelt quotes that I keep in mind when reviewing what people think and comment about something I’ve written or said:
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
“Your opinion of me is none of my business.”
My take-away from what she said is that comments focused on the ideas I’m presenting, even when they totally disagree with what I’ve said, are great and valuable; if they’re aimed at me as a person, I don’t care.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print