Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Democracy- a new idea. (Read 16,490 times)
Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Democracy- a new idea.
Sep 10th, 2010 at 9:56am

At the meeting on Wednesday night I announced the executive's intention to run a water line from the BCCCA
washroom/concession to our paddock.
We want to put in place portable washroom(s) the question is where should the washrooms be placed, who should be allowed to use them (comptitors, crew and workers only, everyone, including the general public) bearing in mind cleaning and maintenance costs, possible damage.
Please reply here or by personal email.
Now is your chance to help decide how the club spends your money Grin.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2012 at 1:25pm by Keith Robinson »  

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Re: Democracy- a new idea.
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 10:17am

Not to quibble too much, but it should read ALLOWED not aloud.

If the usage were to be "controlled" how and by whom?

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 10:35am

The right people could be issued a washroom pass.

IP Logged

Sign_Guy
Senior Racer

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 11:09am

I don't know Mike, have you heard Keith in the washroom? He's pretty loud........
'nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 11:12am

I think tokens would work with a time sensitive (10 secs. wash or flush) water  supply and use. Tokens to be handed out at time of registration based on class. The faster you go, the more tokens needed. Grin

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

Rye
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 2:19pm

I can't conceive a more unfreindly environment for a visitor than to be denied the "public" washroom facilities.

Aren't we trying to encourage participants/spectators?

Richard

IP Logged

purple_tortoise
Senior Racer

I'd give my right arm
to be ambidextrous

BC
Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 3:12pm

the water line is he easy part - where is the drain line going to?  You have to consider winterizing of the line/building too.

I vote open to all as cleaning will be easier than policing.

I looked at this for the club a few years back so if you want any input just ask

James

It's not whether you win or lose ......... it's whether I win.

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 8:17pm

As a spectator when you bought your $200 ticket to go to the Molson Indy were you allowed ( Embarrassed) to use the competitors washrooms???
What would be a reasonable guestimate for the increase in spectators if we have public washrooms?
Portable/movie style units would have holding tanks which would be installed and service by Pit Stop the company we already use.
A suggestion has been made that we also have exterior sinks for crew (oily greasy types!) to wash their hands so that the interior sinks wouldn't suffer too much pollution Wink.

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Rob Dyck
Senior Racer

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 5:18am

Bob_Williams wrote on Sep 10th, 2010 at 11:12am:
I think tokens would work with a time sensitive (10 secs. wash or flush) water  supply and use. Tokens to be handed out at time of registration based on class. The faster you go, the more tokens needed. Grin

"here I sit down brokenhearted....paid a dime and only farted......"

IP Logged

ryano
Pro Circuit

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 5:23am

Thanks to the exec for moving forward on this.

Washrooms should be for everyone and cleaning will come with the new facility no matter who uses them.  I think they should be near the concession with a water feed available to the concession folks.  Having hand washing available to food service folks is a must. 

A shower would be a nice to have along with an external sink or hose pipe and drain.  The big problem will be keeping that free of grease and oil as people will come to wash up there after various motor oil spills.  That being said, having an outdoor sink with a proper shop-type soap/hand cleaner would be great.

Likely you will need some form of power upgrade for this as well. 

The washrooms at Portland are a very simple, cinderblock construction with a metal roof.  I think that is all we need.

Ryan

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 7:45am

The washrooms over in the Drag Racing paddock are a basic ciner block construction and that would work fine. I agree that having a shower would be just great. The ones at Pacific Raceway are coin operated and that would be a good idea to incorporate. Also, the idea of an external (LARGE) washbasin for those requiring a good handwash station is excellent.

I agree that policing this could become an issue, but having the washrooms open to the paying public is probably a better idea than restricting them.

Mike

IP Logged

Pigpen
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

BC
Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 9:27pm

By where the concession truck usually parks (by the META clubhouse) is probably a good location, especially from a spectator perspective. I think we need to make River's edge spectator friendly. Having a place to wash ones hands would be fantastic. Paid showers might be a good way to recoup some of the costs.

WWW olddatsunracer pigpen510  
IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:05am

Due to restrictions placed on us by Custom Car, we cannot build any permanent structures (due to property tax implications). A cinder-block building is therefor out of the question at this time.

Showers will present an issue with holding tank size and servicing intervals. I'm not sure that we can accomplish that without a sewage line, but that would need to be investigated. There are also increased space requirements and cost issues with shower stalls over simple toilet facilities.

It's all good food for thought. I would be really happy to just see some basic washroom facilities as that would really enhance our appeal to our drivers, renters, and possibly spectators.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:51am

Sorry. I was of the impression we were going to get to BUILD a proper washroom with a shower.

I think the option of a movie portable with running water might be a good start. As before the question then becomes; "what do we do with the sewage?". I suppose a septic tank is a non-starter?

As was previously note, we definitely need to make the washroom facilites more amenable to the paying customers, as well as the competitors/officials.

IP Logged

db
Senior Racer

What would Johnny Canuck
do?

Reply #14 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 4:02pm

If we're going to dig a trench and lay the pipe for a water line, wouldn't it make sense to put sewer pipe in at the same time?  I realize that there would probably be an increased cost for the pipe, but we'd only have to dig once. 

We could put the pipe in and cap it if we decide we don't want to, or can't, use it yet.  It won't be any cheaper to do than it is right now, while we're running a water line.

On the subject of access to the washrooms, when we've had the portable units on site in the past they've been open to everyone, and I think this is the way to go.  We have enough trouble filling volunteer positions on a race weekend, I can't see a long lineup of volunteers for Washroom Monitor.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print