Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
H.A.N. DEVICES FOR 2011 ?? (Read 14,120 times)
Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
H.A.N. DEVICES FOR 2011 ??
Oct 1st, 2010 at 11:55am

So......has there been a decision about the H.A.N. devices for 2011 yet? Might make a great Christmas present for that special driver. Need to think about it before to long. Just thought I'd throw it out there and get some imput for all that may need it. Maybe it's to early for some.

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

collin_Jackson
Ex Member

Re: H.A.N. DEVICES FOR 2011 ??
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 12:38pm

Never too early to be safe!
Example:
I got hit during the CCGP race at about 40MPH difference.
  -I had my Hans device on and still hurt my neck.
  -6-trips to the bone cruncher later, things are OK.
  - I Could not imagine what shape I would have been in!

With the price less than a set of tires for most cars, it is a must have for all drivers! Especially parents!

This is a one time expense for life.

IP Logged

Mike_Kaerne
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 12:27pm

The latest word I have from ASN Canada is that it is "highly likely than H.A.N. devices will be required for 2011" - I have advised this in several club meetings... WCMA (prairie region) have mandated H.A.N. devices in ALL cars effective May 1st 2010.

There are several approved devices and prices have started to become more reasonable...

IP Logged

M.G.
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Mission
Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 2:11pm

How about mandating a Carbon Tax while they're at it.

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 3:08pm

Check the Icscc rule change proposals for 2011. The Hans device is there. Scca has also indicated that they will be requiring them.

IP Logged

Sign_Guy
Senior Racer

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 9:32am

This has been discussed for a few years now, I first mentioned it after an Advisory Board Meeting when I was back east. I agree that these are the way of the future and necessary, especially at club level.

SCCA's rule change appears to suggest Jan. 1, 2012.

Problem #1 is inventory - it's now October and if we require Jan. 1, 2011 start, can local suppliers get there in time? I understand that these are all custom fit (ie: not off-the-shelf) and require some lead time. No offical notice has been given by CACC, yet.

Problem #2 - How do these relate to other safety equipment like seats, belts and most of all - emergency extracation by turn workers or e-crew? There is some discussion elsewhere on this forum about practising emergency escapes from race cars, which I also agree is a great idea.

Would this apply across other disciplines including Ice & Vintage?

Lorne

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 10:27am

They are pretty much off the shelf.. Depending on which you go for, there might be some trial and error involved:

1) Hans devices come in 3 different angles and a few different sizes. Usually 20 degrees for sedans, 30 degrees for single seaters and 40 degrees which are mostly used on some obscure vintage formula cars or sports racers. The right angle can also vary with how chesty you are - I'm sure Frank at Driver's Edge knows all about these and could easily find the right one for our drivers Smiley

2) the DefNder (not a typo..) is a one size fits all kinda deal. It's adjustable in both angle and size, which can make it a bit more comfortable apparently, but I guess it can also mean you might adjust it wrong haha. Slightly cheaper than the hans, but biggest advantage is if you drive both sedans and single seaters, easy to swap between settings. Then again, some people say they can happily wear their Hans on sedans and formula cars too, I guess your seating arrangements will determine how well it works.

3) there are others too, Safety Solutions makes a bunch of different ones, a couple of which have recently been approved to be FIA certified. By the way, just about every HNR device on the market is SFI approved, but FIA apparently had some wording in their specs that made it difficult to certify anything other than the HANS.

Some cars will need small modifications to the belt attachment points to make sure everything fits correctly, and 2" shoulder belts are ideal, but not required..

Finally, as far as driver extraction - both the hans and the DefNder are available with quick release straps as far as I know, which makes it easier to extract the driver while leaving the device behind.. Still, even without the quick release straps, they're not a big deal as far as I've seen, unless your car has F1/Indy style integrated head rests, then you're in trouble! Grin

I think the safety solutions devices (some of them at least..) are a non-issue as they secure the head to the body, rather than the belts, so the whole device is attached to the driver, not the car.

EDIT: I'm all for making it mandatory.. I'm getting one either way! But maybe it is a bit short notice for some people, eh?

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 11:09am

I too, am planning on getting one but I was hoping to get it at the same time as I got the newest Snell rated helmet. Has there been any word when they may be coming out ?
I guess I may have to buy one now and then pay again to have it fitted to a new helmet when they are available  Undecided

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 11:28am

One question I have that seems to puzzle people is whether I can continue to use an open-face helmet with any of these head/neck restraint devices.  Bell still sells the Mag4 that I use, but I don't see any attachment info on it.  ???

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 5:24pm

Hmm I'd call Bell (Pyrotect now, I believe?) and ask.. If it is indeed Pyrotect, they're pretty friendly and helpful Smiley

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

ryano
Pro Circuit

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 2:53am

I have been wearing a Hans device for two years now.  I decided to get one when we ran our first race at Thunderhill.   It took a little getting used to but after two races, I was was fine with it.  If I got in a car without one now it would feel like I was riding in my street car without a seat belt.  Or riding my bicycle without a helmet.  All the pro series have mandated the device for good reason in my view.

IP Logged

Rye
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 6:32pm

The HANS device works just fine with open face helmets and is approved for that. The "closed" part of a closed helmet protects your face from impact, and has little to do with securing the helmet to your head.

Richard

IP Logged

Rob Dyck
Senior Racer

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 7:27am

I just had a thought. This more for the corner workers. One of my "quick release" clips on my HANS is always stiff and hard to release.

Do all the turn workers carry a pocket knife of some kind if they would have a need to cut the straps on the HANS device?

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 9:29am

To the people who were asking about SA2010 and open face helmets - Bell just came out with their SA2010 helmets, and the description for their open face model says it's predrilled for the Hans:

http://pegasusautoracing/productselection.asp?Product=2308-S10

Smiley

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 7:19am

Here's a trickier question.. I have a chance to buy an older Hans device (for relatively little money) that predates the SFI spec, so it has no certification sticker. It's the exact same device as currently sold with the sticker, though.

I've heard that some of the clubs that mandate HNR devices don't really require certification (sort of like how gloves and shoes don't necessarily need to be SFI approved).

What's the likelihood of CACC requiring the SFI sticker, rather than publishing an approved list of devices? This thing is good enough of a deal that I might get it anyway even if I can only use it for a year, but it sure would be nice to not have to buy another one next winter Smiley

EDIT: and just figured it out for myself.. Hans offers an SFI retro-certification service, $15 plus cost of whatever parts need to be replaced (they replace tethers over 2 years old and some rubber bits apparently). Great!

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print