Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A suggested new class (Read 8,932 times)
Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Re: A suggested new class
Reply #15 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 10:02am

That's why they hold races.

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 10:12am

Nothing to stop him.
As I remember back in about 1998 GTS was set up as a catch-all class for cars that did not meet IP or GT class rules and as a second run group for both. IP cars were required to be entered in the IP class at the same race meet to be able to run in GTS. These rules also allowed two drivers in one car which increases entries. The requirement for all GTS cars except IP as noted above to have the full GT safety equipment came a number of years later. There was never any intent to try to equalize the cars. It is a simple displacement based class breakdown. CACC has GT and IP for people who want to race against a more or less equal car within the rules.

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #17 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 3:17pm

I get alot of questions regarding motor swap cars, and I alway have to give the same answer, "There is NO class for you unless you put in a fire system and a fuel cell or run THE WSC."
I think this class will attract new cars running on DOT tires as well as the JDM spec right hand drive cars. Its a good place for a ex-world challenge car or perhaps a car that has been motor prepped past the IT/IP rules.

lets see how many people this would benefit:

Lin brothers BMW
Mark - RX7 RHD
RHD - Skyline
ORANGE - BMW , M3
Dodge Neon with tail

I cant think of more but I bet YOU can!
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2011 at 10:02pm by Doodson »  
IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #18 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 3:40pm

Jordy Isaak wrote on Oct 22nd, 2011 at 8:01am:
I'm not sure what your problem is with an IP car running GTS as a second class.  It's provided for in the rules, and it doesn't go even a tenth of a second quicker than it did in IP, seeing how it's an identical car.  No safety issues there .

I guess what people fail to see is that if a person was so inclinde they could now add a engine mod, and run slicks on there IP car in GTU, GTM, GTO.  Now that car is going faster with IP safety requirements.  

I could go either way on this issue and could piont out that an IP1 Corvette that runs 1:15 already has less safety requirements than a GTL car running 1:18's

I think the main group of people this is for would be the cars that have failed to comply to our current class prep rules due to one reason or another, whether on purpose or not.  It also allows a GT car to run a cheaper DOT tire instead of a SLICK
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:43pm by Doodson »  
IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #19 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:14pm

Uh, no Chris, they can't do that.  If you run GTS as a second entry with an IP car it *must* be IP legal when run in GTS.  No slicks, engine changes, etc.  Can't even pull any ballast.  It is in all respects identical to how it is run in the other race on the same day.

It seems odd to me that you're so stuck on the dangers of an IP car putting on a GT sticker and staying mechanically identical, but are fine with a car that has only IP safety equipment having free reign on engine swaps and turbo upgrades when it's called ITE.

And sorry, but you're wrong about the engine in my dad's car - we switched it back to stock.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #20 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:37pm

Jordy Isaak wrote on Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:14pm:
Uh, no Chris, they can't do that.  If you run GTS as a second entry with an IP car it *must* be IP legal when run in GTS.  No slicks, engine changes, etc.  Can't even pull any ballast.  It is in all respects identical to how it is run in the other race on the same day.
And sorry, but you're wrong about the engine in my dad's car - we switched it back to stock.

YES , it seems I was wrong, Did not look down far enough in the CACC rules

Improved Production cars entered in GTS Category
A. To allow CACC members an opportunity to compete in GTS category as an additional entry, cars whose logbooks states the car is an IP category car may be entered in GTS category.

Race Competition Regulations

17-2 1/1/2011
GT Category
Cars so entered need only conform to the vehicle safety standards required of IP category, provided that in all other respects, the car complies completely with IP category rules.

And I guess I have not looked at your Dads car in some time to see the correct engine was reinstalled

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print