Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
CACC Rule Change Proposal (Read 24,490 times)
Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

CACC Rule Change Proposal
Oct 22nd, 2011 at 8:26am

In rule 18.4.A, IP classifications:

- Remove IP4 class.
- Remove IPA class.
- Remove provision for Spec Miata cars to race in IP3 class.

My reasoning:

There were only 2 IPA entries and 1 IP4 entry in all of last year - these classes are dead.  IPA cars can run in IP1 with no modifications, and IP4 cars can run in IP3 with no modifications.

Spec Miatas have their own class as of last year, and it is in the same run group as IP3.  The SM racing in IP3 provision is no longer necessary.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

trackrat
Novice

eat,sleep, Race

Re: CACC Rule Change Proposal
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 10:02am

There are Miata's  that don't meet SM rules, and the cost to make them legal aren't in all racers budgets. Also, I would like to build an IP3  Miata next year and have my other Miata's run in SM.
my goal is to have as many of my cars running to take over the championship next season. I wanna be just like curt when I grow up! haha....

real racers turn right & left

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 10:16am

Good ideas!

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 3:49pm

Jordy Isaak wrote on Oct 22nd, 2011 at 8:26am:
In rule 18.4.A, IP classifications:

- Remove IP4 class.
- Remove IPA class.
- Remove provision for Spec Miata cars to race in IP3 class.

First two are great ideas

But allow a SM 1.8L to remain in IP3 if so desired.  Correct me if Im wrong but I was lead to believe the 1.8 SM has a restrictor to bring it down to the 1.6 miata? Is this correct?
The 1.6 Miata would already fit in the IP3 class.
I would guess its just easyier to leave that rule alone for awhile.

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 3:51pm

trackrat wrote on Oct 22nd, 2011 at 10:02am:
my goal is to have as many of my cars running to take over the championship next season. I wanna be just like curt when I grow up! haha....

And if you get nice uniforms you may even win best looking pit crew  Grin

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:07pm

trackrat wrote on Oct 22nd, 2011 at 10:02am:
There are Miata's  that don't meet SM rules, and the cost to make them legal aren't in all racers budgets. Also, I would like to build an IP3  Miata next year and have my other Miata's run in SM.

Tracey, under the current rules you have the following options with a Miata:

1.6L built to Spec Miata rules can be run in IP3 or SM
1.8L built to Spec Miata rules can be run in IP3 or SM
1.6L built to IP rules can be run in IP3
1.8L built to IP rules can be run in IP2

With the rule change, you would have the following options:

1.6L built to Spec Miata rules can be run in IP3 or SM
1.8L built to Spec Miata rules can be run in IP2 or SM
1.6L built to IP rules can be run in IP3
1.8L built to IP rules can be run in IP2

So the only difference is that a 1.8L Miata would no longer be able to race in IP3 when built to Spec Miata rules.  Seeing how such a car is not competitive in IP3 anyway and already has a class for it in the same run group, I don't think that's a big loss.

If the general consensus is against changing this particular rule I'm fine with backing out of it.  But I do feel that it's a rule that really doesn't have a place in the book, now that we have a separate SM class.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Fastist12
Senior Racer

Passinu

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 10:29pm

Dont Now how this applies to me, Shocked  Other than i helped Norm S Bring the Miatas to IP3     Jordy is correct with his breakdown,SInce there is a SM Class in CW2 . Seems like they have a home ,,,  But for what ever the reason is,,  You have a choice,, Throw out the rule and 1600 SMs still have a IP3 Option. This would not allow the 1800 restricted SMs in IP3.  Remove the restrictor and its an IP2 car  CW1,,  I agree  that IP4/IPA are Dead Classes. Kind of agree with Criss leave the 1800SM rule alone for rite now. I dont think we will ever win the best pic crew trophy...LOL Dont have that one in our sites ,

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 9:50am

Ok, since most reaction to the SM rule change is negative, I'll drop that.  I will propose that IP4 and IPA be dropped at the CACC meeting.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 7:23am

I guess as the only participant to bring an IP4 car to an event this season I'm not going to win a vote if you guys are dead set against it. The reason why myself and if I remember K.R. proposed this class, was to give all the under powered IP3 cars a place to be competitive. Lets face it, a 1500cc (max displacement) and either carbed or single port F.I. will never be competitive with 1600 cc, multi port F.I. or certainly VTEC so that's why the class was created. If nobody is subscribing to the class then I guess the democratic process can judge whether or not the class deserves to survive but as the one participant who sees the benefit of the class's existence (and the fact that it doesn't actually cost anything to keep it alive) I will be voting to keep it alive. I hope that eventually or when others actually discover that their car would work in this class rather than doing an engine swap to make it work in IP3 (you know who you are !) we will see bigger fields but at least until then I can continue to run this car in it's competitive class and not have to park a completely adequate race car for a lack of a decent CACC class. I don't want to have to run just ICSCC weekends as the only alternative.

Paul

IP Logged

Fastist12
Senior Racer

Passinu

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 7:47am

Paul ,,  Good comments , This is good to here from IP4 entrants and your rite, dosnt cost anything to keep the class alive ..  There has been an IP4 Car that has converted to Si trim and now runs in IP3 , discussion on this matter is good and to here from the IP4 entries as what we should do, Iam not voting to remove any Possible IP4 entries . This is the place to find out what we should do  and how to vote. If there are IP4 competitors lets here from you. How many Ip4 cars do we still have? ,

IP Logged

dave
Spectator

Vancouver
Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 5:28pm

My 1500S (ex-Wong, ex-Doodson) has been in hiding since 2009. Logbook shows 4 entries in 2007, 1 in 2008, 1 in 2009. Wayne (McKinnon?) ran a red CRX in IP4 also, but car graduated to GTL? I recall a theory that former Honda/Michelin (and similar) cars may show up for a 1500 class, after the proposal of a spec Civic class didn't take off? I will run my car at some point next year, I have a job now!

Dave Adams

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 5:39pm

Wayne did run his CRX in IP4 a couple times.  It was, frankly, illegal for the class.  He had bigger carbs on it, and I think a hot cam as well, plus the interior was gutted in excess of what is legal for IP.  He only ran IP4 because he was so far away from being competitive in the GT class that it was built for, and nobody was there in IP4 to care about whether he was legal or not.

I do understand the argument behind the creation of the class.  But when not even a dozen race entries happen over the course of 3 years, we have to consider that perhaps that theoretical pool of cars that would compete is in practice not very deep.

The Si CRX and Civic have dropped enough in price that for any person contemplating a new build or buying an existing car, IP3 is essentially the same cost and offers *far* better racing.

Personally, I'd rather see fewer classes with more cars in them than more classes with the cars spread about so thinly that no real competition happens.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #12 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 5:52pm

"Personally, I'd rather see fewer classes with more cars in them than more classes with the cars spread about so thinly that no real competition happens"

Well, that's the first comment I agree with. It seems like every sanctioning body has fallen into the same trap of creating new classes every year while the pool of competitors has remained stagnate. Years ago when the classes were fewer and grids bigger, most drivers were happy that they had someone somewhere in the pack to race with. Now it appears that if someone isn't in a position to win they want to create a new class. There are plenty of classes to find a place to race. If you happen to make a bad choice of vehicle to run then too bad. Lesson learned. The rules are public and clear. Do your homework and pick a car that would be competitive.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

dave
Spectator

Vancouver
Reply #13 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 6:32pm

No argument from me. Certain SCCA forums are dominated with car count discussions, though with more at stake. If nobody orders it, take it off the menu. I can't complain with my 1.2 entries per year and I don't think I even renewed my club membership this year! If an IP3 CRX/GSR is the standard entry level then that's the answer, though I'd like to know what keeping the class (and IPA) actually costs the club. Wayne and I did share a laugh over his "IP4" setup.

Dave

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 6:44am

What I'd like to see is a return to hey days of motorsports when it wasn't so politically incorrect to burn off non-renewable resources without concern for our future. That isn't going to happen is it ? The IP4 class was created just a few years before our most recent global recession and as evidenced by dave's own participation numbers in the last few years I think it's unwise to be eliminating classes that might give more potential participants an opportunity to enter or re-enter motorsports activities with cars that at one time were competent and possibly competitive. Just because time has passed shouldn't mean the elimination of cars that once filled our grids. If they won't let them in a vintage grid now are they just supposed to wait till then ? Sure many have found a better mousetrap with which they can vie for championships in a faster class, but what about the guys that have ressurrected an old Honda/Michelin car or something that fits the IP4 class because that is all they can afford or want to compete in ? It might be that those participants who have less disposable income that want to race cars like that are the first to be affected by an economy that doesn't allow for such frivolities like motorsports. Do you want to turn them away now by eliminating a class (which still as far as I know doesn't actually cost anything to keep alive until somebody actually pays an entry fee to run in that class thereby paying for his own $12 plastic trophy, no offense to the trophy people !) or leave open the possibility that they may return one day once their situation improves and they have a place to be competitive with similar cars in their class ? Yeah I know that sometimes it seems we are creating a class for every whiner that wants to win a trophy but in this instance I feel that these type of participants aren't here for the trophy but just the opportunity to get out in their car whatever it may be and measure themselves and their cars against something that is somewhat equal and not going to blow them away because he doesn't have VTEC or whatever. Even SCCA has softened their stance on participation levels for national status classes in the hopes that they don't lose any participants because that class no longer has national status and although we locally, have nowhere near the numbers of competitors to deal with, I think it is unwise to affect the possibility of more participants coming racing in the years to come by eliminating a place/class where those potential participants will have a chance to compete.

Back to you,

Paul

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print