Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
CACC Rule Change Proposal (Read 24,491 times)
Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Re: CACC Rule Change Proposal
Reply #15 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 7:09am

Paul's rationale is very well presented. I'd agree with him that we shouldn't just dump IP-4. As he says, it's not costing CACC a lot of money if no one enters. A couple of lines in the rulebook is about it.

Mike

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #16 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 8:04am

As I understand it, Paul's arguments are:

- There are potential entries for IP4, and if IP4 doesn't exist they will not enter IP3

- There is no cost to keeping IP4 around, regardless of how few entries it has

- IP4 is a place for people that just want to show up and drive for the cheapest price possible

I would respond with this:

- These potential entries haven't shown up in the 5-ish years that IP4 has existed.  If they haven't shown up by now, I'm inclined to believe that they don't actually exist.

- There actually is a cost to keeping a class with such a low participation rate around.  We lose overall entries when drivers try the class once or twice, realize that there's nobody to race against and don't come back.  The dwindling entry count in the logbook of Cory's old 1500S, for example.  I'd rather new drivers get into a well subscribed class and enjoy the racing enough to get hooked instead of entering an empty class and leaving after a few races wondering where the fun is.

- If a driver just wants to enjoy being on the track, they can just as easily enter their car in IP3 and drive at exactly the same pace as they would in IP4.  We are not losing any drivers over this.  If they want to be competitive, spend the extra $500 to start with an Si and do IP3.  It's only the cost of one race weekend...

And one last thing.  Paul is the strongest supporter of IP4.  He has an IP4 car.  He's been racing in IP3 all year.  Keith helped get the class in the books.  When he races closed wheel, he races in IP3.

If the strongest supporters of a class choose not to race in it, I think that speaks volumes about the viability of said class.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 9:21am

Jordy,
I can see you are not going to be convinced but at least get some facts straight.

I do own an IP4 car which I built specifically because of the class , I ran it in class this year and will continue to campaign it in IP4 while it has a class to run it in. I will not run it in IP3 and have not before in the past. So you are wrong and I want that clarified.

I do own an IP3 car and it gets entered into IP3 and GTU when we (Scott Rattray and I) bring it to the track.

I cannot comment on why Keith runs his car in IP3, I know one car he runs in that run group is not IP4 eligible and maybe at this time he does not have a car that is IP4 legal.

"dave" has an IP4 car, Wayne McKinnon has a car that with the removal of dual carbs and hot cam would be more welcome in IP4 than he needs to be in GTL.
There were a couple of more out there so we do know exist.

The other reason for this class was to encourage the much cheaper than $500 difference non Si models to be developed into race cars. There is already starting to be a lack of suitable Si's and eventually the non Si models can  be an alternative as long as they don't have to race against the faster models. SCCA and ICSCC have recognized this with the specific classes why do you want to push them to those events and away from CACC's ?

Here's my bottom line, eliminate the class and lose me as a competitor. Big deal you might say, he's just one guy, but I will assure you, I will not enter that car in IP3 but possibly wait until a ICSCC weekend and spend my racing dollars with them and not CACC, How does that not hurt CACC ? Are there others out there like me ? I can't say for sure if there are and how many, but you will definitely not find out if you eliminate the class.

I'm not going to suggest to anyone starting out that they shouldn't try to find a car that might be competitive in IP3 but there are a few IP4 cars out there that we do know of and they will be the ones immediately and directly affected by your decision. Hopefully for your sake and CACC's as well they will capitulate and run their grossly uncompetitive cars in IP3 and keep your class numbers healthy but maybe they will retire from that class and search out an organization that wasn't so insensitive to their needs and desires to have a class that was suited for them.

Again, let the rebuttals be heard,

Paul

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #18 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 10:02am

Sorry Paul, miscommunication here.  I meant that although you have an IP4 car, you also have an IP3 car which you drive much more often.

I was not trying to say that you ran your IP4 car in IP3.

We'll have to agree to disagree on how much 1 race entry counts as running a car for the year.  We'll also have to agree to disagree on the cost and availability on potential IP3 cars.  From what I can tell, the cost of getting a CRX Si chassis is less than the cost of putting a roll cage in it, which seems pretty cheap to me.

And again, there seems to be a miscommunication as to my intent.  I'm not out to personally attack you.  However, the reality of the class (1 entry last year) does not match up with what you're saying about it (untapped pool of competitors).  That is all I'm trying to say.

And really, if you lose IP4 you'll stop racing your Integra in IP3?  Really?

Generations Racing

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 11:23am

Nope. Won't stop IP3 racing but seeing as I mostly share the IP3 car on specific weekends, those weekends that I do not need to share it I would just as likely run the IP4 car. Seeing as I am a die hard CACC supporter I would more than likely try to sell the IP4 car if you nix the class. Just makes it hard to sell a car that only has a dedicated class for it 2 or 3 weekends a year at Mission.

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #20 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 3:52pm

Keep IP4. Drop IPA. IPA was promoted by a number of people who have moved on to other classes or have not raced in recent years. Their reason for proposing the class was that they did not want to run their 20 or so year old American cars against a Porsche 928. That Porsche does not run very often either. IPA cars are still IP1.
Spec Miatas have their own class. They do not score points in IP3. Run groups are in the hands of the organizer and not really part of the CACC rules. If a person wants to prepare a Miata to IP rules then that is where they would be classed. Spec Miata is really restrictive as to what is allowed to be modified. IP rules are much more open.
Remember that no matter what car you want to race it may not be the best car with which to win.

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #21 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 6:22pm

How about :

1. Dump IPA

2. PUT IP4 on a one year probation where there must be at least 3 different cars show up throughout the 2012 year at any time.

If we cant get 3 different cars to any of the 5 or 6 races then those cars will be classed in IP3, and IP4 will be gone for 2013.

If there is only one car running in IP4 and that guy is running in that class  because he can not be competitive in IP3, well then clearly he is not being competitive running against himself either?

IP Logged

Honda_Hatchie
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #22 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 6:49pm

If I may chime in my 2 cents worth........

As the current IP4 record holder  Wink,  I say get rid of the class so my name can forever remain in stone!  Tongue

Kidding aside, I absolutely enjoyed my handful of races I did in IP4 in 2010.  Why?  For one, I couldn't care less who was passing me, as I was out to improve on my skills, get some seat time,  and learn some rules and meet some people.  The class in that regard is a tremendous success.  The car was my old street car.  Literally put a bolt-in cage in, and drove back and forth to the track (I still do that with the IP3 car).

Why did I change classes?  In all honesty, being the only one out there was great if/when I was passing a few IP3 cars, but at the end of the day, I was still  on my own.  Running in IP3 this year has been a huge learning curve all over again, as it is a busy, competitive, challenging and above all -- exciting class. 

Would IP4 work?  Absolutely, but as everyone knows, getting people to the track is hard enough, let alone getting them to put their Cx/Dx Honda on the track.  The aftermarket support is heavily geared to the Si models, hence the popularity amongst the tuner crowd.

What we need is for someone to build 12 or 14 cars (Yes, you Curt) and bring them all to the track just like the old Proformance Corollas.  Flip a coin, take your pick of cars and off you go. 

If the class doesn't hurt or cost anyone/anything by remaining on the books for another year, lets leave it.

My opinion only,

Jason Nash

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #23 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 3:45am

Chris, it's been 4 years since we've had more than 1 car on the track at a time in IP4 (last time was October 2007).  Do we really need another year to know the numbers aren't there?

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #24 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 4:45am

By way of comparison, how many years did we run two (and sometimes one) Formula Vee. Now look at the participation.

Eliminating classes isn't necessarily the answer (though I'd agree we should get rid of the AS class due to lack of interest. Encouraging folks to participate in the classes that are there is. IP-4 may have insignificant entries at the moment but that doesn't mean it's dead.

Also, any class we eliminate could be recognized again if there's sufficient interest.

IP Logged

MAXSPEED199
Spectator

If hammering breaks it
,it needed replacing
anyhow

Reply #25 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 6:39am

Looks like the Conference guys have simplified everything.
I notice this concept is now used in motorcycle racing and even boat racing.

http://www.race-st.com/

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #26 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 7:01am

Interesting, but I think this belongs in the IPE discussion thread.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #27 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 4:06pm

Well seeing as my name has been mentioned on a couple of occasions (and not in a derogatory manner!) I feel obliged to add my opinion.
I am pleased to see Jason's comments because it was his (or people in his situation) involvement in lapping days and a couple of other cars that I knew of which could easily be made into racecars that prompted me to suggest the IP4 class. His migration from lapping to IP4 to IP3 is a classic example of what I had imagined. Dave/Doodson's old car (which I sold to Dood!) was another example and if Wayne had asked me I would have told him to run IP4 (legally) instead of spending a lot of money (for fuel cell and carbs and cam etc.) to run GTL where he is totally uncompetitive. I wonder if we might not have seen more of him this year if he had made the IP4 choice?
I think Paul/Dave/Jason have all shown that there is still a place for the class. Incidentally it was never my intention to run in IP4 I just thought it would be good as an entry level class.
I currently have a stock1986 CRX (almost rust free) and an almost complete 'bolt in' roll cage. If someone would like to start racing next year I'll sell them the car, the cage and a set of wheels (with better tires than Doodson started with) for $1200. Such a car would not be embarrassed in IP4 and it is a little cheaper than any IP3 car that I have seen  Wink.

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #28 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 7:43pm

Not to hijack, but on the topic of rule changes, from what I've seen the conference guys seem to have the correct formula, with regards to to vehicle groupings being based on power to weight and not strictly engine displacement. On the flip side, the sccbc weekend scheduling is superior than ICSCC, in my humble opinion.
As for IP4, if it doesn't cost a bundle to keep active, keep it. The time will come when the newer econoboxes will start to show up, and if the engine displacement rule will still be around, they wont have a class to run in as many are in the 1500 cc range. Maybe a comparison of what the yearly costs of maintaining the class vs. the cost of restarting it down the road should be considered.

John

1984 #777 Scirocco IP2(LOL) &&1985 M52 BMW 3 series&&1973 Super Beetle auto-x&&2005 Ford Powerstroke&&
IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #29 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 5:16am

IP4 is currently restricted to OEM throttle body fuel injection, so you are never going to see any cars newer than what's already out there under the current rules.  Also under the current rules there's no provision for carbed cars, so you may want to consider holding off with the '86 CRX or getting the rules changed to make it legal, Keith Smiley.

I'll just point out again that there hasn't been any actual racing in IP4 since 2007, which was the last time that there was actually more than one car on the track in class.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print