Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Attn: Novice Race Licence Holders (Read 12,423 times)
Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Re: Attn: Novice Race Licence Holders
Reply #15 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:22am

I will be organizing the Vintage practice day, please contact me directly of you need any information. (karace90@shaw.ca).
Experienced turn workers have already volunteered for this practice day.

Note; open wheel and closed wheel do not practice at the same time. Any groups with extreme differences in lap time may be separated.

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #16 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:04pm

We also have a separate group for TimeAttack as they have restricted passing zones.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #17 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 1:08pm

As a recent newbie, I understand how you feel about practice days. But the reality is, other than the handful of new drivers who are incredibly excited about being on the track every single minute they can, very few people actually want to come out and practice before every weekend.. After a season or two, you'll come out to the first practice day to shake off the spider webs and make sure you didn't break anything in the "winter rebuild". After a few years, you won't even bother with that.

A lot of the people that run at Mission, only run at Mission. So they're not changing gears every weekend, having to relearn the track, changing ride heights and alignment settings.. Once you find things that sort of work, the 6/7 weekends a year will be enough!

edit: one other thing is that once you run the track enough, the actual driving on the track isn't all that exciting.. It's the racing that keeps you coming back! And there ain't no racing on Fridays  Wink

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #18 - May 1st, 2013 at 11:21am

Tiago, thank you for your opinion.
Having attended and officiated at dozens of lapping days I can assure you that lots of people get great satisfaction from 'just driving on the track'.
Of course a lot of them are lapping a lot faster than you Wink.

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

2muchfun247
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Richmond B.C.
Reply #19 - May 1st, 2013 at 1:35pm

I  can understand how some might not want to practice  due to time and money restraints as well as getting the track volunteers to run it , But I am sure there must be people out there that want to practice  to get better , there is always room for improvement . I understand i am a new driver and my excitment and enthusiasm  is high , but i love this sport and i can not honestly see that ever change no matter how many years i have been racing. I will always want to strive to be a better and safer racer  and will want to set  a new personal best each and every time out  on the track . The best way to be a better driver is seat  time seat time  seat time . I am sure I am not the only driver out there who wants to improve their racing skills . I know I have lots to learn and the best way is practice practice practice . It is not only good for you but your fellow racers as well,  the better race drivers we become the safer it is for all of us on the track . I know I am personaly a better driver now than my first novice race and it is all due to seat time ( practice and race ) I remember turn one of my first sr  race ...holy sh....  that was a lesson all its own  i thought  to myself" they are all mad men behind the wheel "... now i want to be one ...lol      Todd # 124
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2013 at 3:05pm by 2muchfun247 »  

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #20 - May 1st, 2013 at 1:52pm

Keith Robinson wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 11:21am:
... lots of people get great satisfaction from 'just driving on the track'.
Of course a lot of them are lapping a lot faster than you Wink.

Good to know! I guess I just never noticed all the buzz and excitement on our Friday practice days..

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #21 - May 2nd, 2013 at 11:02am

Tiago
There will be 30-40 cars on May 24th, come out and practice or come out and help on one of the corners, you never know what you might learn. There's a BBQ at the end of the day Smiley Smiley

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Steve Hocaluk
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #22 - May 13th, 2013 at 8:02pm

In response to inquiries I have been receiving, please note the following:

- This practice day is being operated solely by the Vintage Racing Club.

- The SCCBC and it's Committees, including the RDC, are NOT acting in any official or organizational capacity during this practice day.

Steve

Steve Hocaluk

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #23 - May 24th, 2013 at 6:49am

Keith Robinson wrote on May 2nd, 2013 at 11:02am:
Tiago
There will be 30-40 cars on May 24th, come out and practice or come out and help on one of the corners, you never know what you might learn. There's a BBQ at the end of the day Smiley Smiley

Just now read this post.. If I could, I would! No racing for me this year, but I will try to help with the flags at some point.. It was a great learning experience every time I had a chance to spend a day at a corner station! Best seats in the house..

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #24 - May 27th, 2013 at 1:54pm

Thanks to a merry mob of META corner workers, Kevin Skinner, Al Harvey, Norm Shaw (track manager) Dennis Repel and Pam Stec the Vintage run practice day was  good fun.
There were a few 'strange' incidents but having received several positive comments to date and as there were no on track problems (other than a little oil spill) I think I'll call it a success, thank you all. Smiley

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

2muchfun247
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Richmond B.C.
Reply #25 - May 27th, 2013 at 2:22pm

I would like to  thank everyone who made it possible for last Fridays practice . I also would like to send out a special thanks to you Keith for organizing the practice day.  thanks so much  I had a blast  Todd #124 Smiley

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #26 - May 27th, 2013 at 5:09pm

Vintage Racing Club of BC were your hosts Todd.
Your car looked good and I'm glad you enjoyed the opportunity to get in some laps!

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print