Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Just bought 88 Mustang lx for IP1 (Read 18,161 times)
Mike McGarry
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Just bought 88 Mustang lx for IP1
Oct 12th, 2014 at 9:53pm

Hi all....came across an 88 Mustang lx with a 100% fresh properly done engine for a great deal.

My thought would be to have it ready for IP1 next year at Mission.........I have a million questions. I have gotten a hold of ccac and scca rules and sort of get where I can change and where i cannot.

My first main questions that i would love some advice on;

the car has 16 inch rims - i know i can use up 17in if I wanted. Question i, do I need to add that inch or will the 16's be just the same (love to not have to buy rims), and if so what size/brand tire would you suggest...?

Second is springs and lowering - think I can lower the car 1.5 inch pretty easy......is that the way to go, and any suggestions on spring rates to start would be amazing.

brakes  -think i need to retain 11 inch rotors in the front?.....any suggestions on upgrading calipers with out spending 1000's of dollars.......

trying to get a decent, moderately competitive car put together for DT and next season so i can go out and have fun without breaking the bank. My previous experience has not been to much IP type cars.

Anything would be great.  Smiley

Thank you!
-Mike

IP Logged

2muchfun247
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Richmond B.C.
Re: Just bought 88 Mustang lx for IP1
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 6:59am

Hi Mike  Glad to hear your coming racing . The rims in my opinion  I would use 17  as 16 the tires in my opinion would be harder to get and most likely more money as they are an odd size 17  are more common so rims and tires will be cheaper . The brakes at mission are so important  you can do almost anything to up grade your brakes ,\.. braking a heavier car  on mission's tight tack is key  I would up grade front and back brakes  calipers and rotors and race pads hawk dtc 70 on the front dct 60 on the rear is what I use . As far as lowering your car   I would , also add some bigger sway bars . some better shocks would help too . hope that helps .... Todd # 124  corvette z06  IP1

IP Logged

Darwin
Novice

BC
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 9:20am

I'll second the brakes comment.  My understanding is, you can do anything as long as they bolt to the original caliper mounts and use cast iron rotors.  Cooling ducts are also a big help.  This is where the bigger wheels help - more room for bigger calipers.  And better tire selection.

For suspension, you could upgrade all your bushings to Delrin or Poly & see how it feels before buying springs & sway bars.  Shocks - I think you can't go adjustable in IP but I could be wrong.  For tires, you'll want Hoosier dry & wets ultimately.

Reliability is key as well - and with the higher speeds you'll need better engine cooling.

There are more economical ways to race than IP1, but it's a total gas, for sure!

Cheers, Darwin (IP1 Corvette #43)

CACC Senior | 99 Corvette FRC | IP1/GTO

IP Logged

racestec
Pro Circuit

winning isn't everything
but losing sucks

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 8:35am

just a note re using the car for Driver Training. We have had students who have brought out similar vintage prepared Mustangs and they have been a horror show to teach and learn in. With stripped out interiors and modified exhaust, it is so loud in the car you can't communicate with the instructor. The cars are tricky to get handling well, so an unsorted car is a waste of time to drive and learn on. Even though you are doing your best, an uncooperative car will not highlight your talent. If you have to crawl around the corners because any application of throttle will immediately bring the back end around, it will slow you down so much that the Yugo behind you will be looking for a way around you. Please consider bringing out a totally stock street car. It may not handle the best, but they are designed to be safe and not have any evil handling quirks. Install upgraded brake pads and maybe get some extra cooling to the callipers and have fun and learn. Then when you drive your race car, you will understand what it is doing well and what needs to be corrected.   
Welcome to the world of road racing.

Ray Stec

IP Logged

Mike McGarry
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 3:33pm

2muchfun247 wrote on Oct 13th, 2014 at 6:59am:
Hi Mike  Glad to hear your coming racing . The rims in my opinion  I would use 17  as 16 the tires in my opinion would be harder to get and most likely more money as they are an odd size 17  are more common so rims and tires will be cheaper . The brakes at mission are so important  you can do almost anything to up grade your brakes ,\.. braking a heavier car  on mission's tight tack is key  I would up grade front and back brakes  calipers and rotors and race pads hawk dtc 70 on the front dct 60 on the rear is what I use . As far as lowering your car   I would , also add some bigger sway bars . some better shocks would help too . hope that helps .... Todd # 124  corvette z06  IP1

Thanks Todd !! I hear you on rim size and brakes....is your car a drum rear..? I know I should change my rears to disk, just wondering how crucial it is..? Are you using stock brakes, but with cooling ducts and pad and shoe upgrades..?

Also considering changing from pwr brakes to manual...wondering which is better there...

I am sure you know I can easy spend 5k on brakes all the way around, but really only want as much brake as I need.....F1 style brakes are a waste in a production car on DOT tires.

Thanks Todd

IP Logged

Mike McGarry
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 3:36pm

Darwin wrote on Oct 13th, 2014 at 9:20am:
I'll second the brakes comment.  My understanding is, you can do anything as long as they bolt to the original caliper mounts and use cast iron rotors.  Cooling ducts are also a big help.  This is where the bigger wheels help - more room for bigger calipers.  And better tire selection.

For suspension, you could upgrade all your bushings to Delrin or Poly & see how it feels before buying springs & sway bars.  Shocks - I think you can't go adjustable in IP but I could be wrong.  For tires, you'll want Hoosier dry & wets ultimately.

Reliability is key as well - and with the higher speeds you'll need better engine cooling.

There are more economical ways to race than IP1, but it's a total gas, for sure!

Cheers, Darwin (IP1 Corvette #43)

Thanks Darwin - hear you on the brakes !
Could you give me a 'model' name or number for the Hoosiers or is that a spec IP1 tire..?

Thanks for the help !
-Mike

IP Logged

Mike McGarry
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 3:38pm

racestec wrote on Oct 14th, 2014 at 8:35am:
just a note re using the car for Driver Training. We have had students who have brought out similar vintage prepared Mustangs and they have been a horror show to teach and learn in. With stripped out interiors and modified exhaust, it is so loud in the car you can't communicate with the instructor. The cars are tricky to get handling well, so an unsorted car is a waste of time to drive and learn on. Even though you are doing your best, an uncooperative car will not highlight your talent. If you have to crawl around the corners because any application of throttle will immediately bring the back end around, it will slow you down so much that the Yugo behind you will be looking for a way around you. Please consider bringing out a totally stock street car. It may not handle the best, but they are designed to be safe and not have any evil handling quirks. Install upgraded brake pads and maybe get some extra cooling to the callipers and have fun and learn. Then when you drive your race car, you will understand what it is doing well and what needs to be corrected.   
Welcome to the world of road racing.

Thank you !!
Not sure I will even have the car done my DT and may end up in something else for that by default. Still lots of work to do on my winter project before anything happens.

Thanks again !
-Mike

IP Logged

Darwin
Novice

BC
Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 8:02am

Mike McGarry wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 3:36pm:
Could you give me a 'model' name or number for the Hoosiers or is that a spec IP1 tire..?

Thanks for the help !
-Mike

I bought a set of Hoosier A6's this year, the R6's take longer to come up to temp but should last longer.  They've also come out with an A7 and R7 this year, from what they say they're even better.  As with all R-compound tires, they're pricey though - expect to drop close to $2k to outfit your Mustang.

I would suggest coming up with a detailed plan and budget for what you need to do to your car (safety equipment to get it through Tech), and what you should do (maintenance and brake upgrades to get it through the race) before you make any major purchases towards what you want to do (go really fast).  I came up with a multi-year plan that works with my budget, and it's going to take all of 5 years or more to get to everything on my IP wish list.  It would have been considerably cheaper to buy a completed, competitive car but I wanted to build my own as part of the total experience.

Cheers,
Darwin

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 11:25am

Welcome Garry.
                        Your first good move is coming to the forum for input and advise. Second would be to rid the car of the rear drums. Also consider the performance friction pads they tend not to chew up the rotors. they may cost a little more but work really well. You may have to play around with brake pad brands and compounds to see what works best for you set up but the advise given may give you a good starting point.

cheers RS
                    PS   Please NO NOT use a race car for driver training  I had a student with a similar car in one class. it was not fun. In the rain the car was pretty much undrivable , you could not learn anything  other than how to tippy toe around the track and not spin out in every turn.

IP Logged

Mike McGarry
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 10:06pm

Darwin wrote on Oct 18th, 2014 at 8:02am:
Mike McGarry wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 3:36pm:

Thanks for the help !
-Mike

I bought a set of Hoosier A6's this year, the R6's take longer to come up to temp but should last longer.  They've also come out with an A7 and R7 this year, from what they say they're even better.  As with all R-compound tires, they're pricey though - expect to drop close to $2k to outfit your Mustang.

I would suggest coming up with a detailed plan and budget for what you need to do to your car (safety equipment to get it through Tech), and what you should do (maintenance and brake upgrades to get it through the race) before you make any major purchases towards what you want to do (go really fast).  I came up with a multi-year plan that works with my budget, and it's going to take all of 5 years or more to get to everything on my IP wish list.  It would have been considerably cheaper to buy a completed, competitive car but I wanted to build my own as part of the total experience.

Cheers,
Darwin

Thanks Darwin....looks like 1100 for drys and the same for wets....2000+ yikes...oh well. Do they last more than 1 race..? Can you get a season out of them..?

I am with you on the building . . . very mush enjoy that this time around for sure.

Far as budget  and planning - agreed. Think I have broken down into - 1 safety, 2 Reliability, 3 Speed, 4 More Speed....be happy if I get through 1,2 and maybe half way through 3 by season start....finish up stage 3 through the season and 4 next one - #4 is the expensive stage   Cry

Thanks Darwin !
-Mike

IP Logged

2muchfun247
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Richmond B.C.
Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 7:28am

Hi Mike  My corvette has 6 piston baer brakes  14 inch rotors  on the front and and wildwood super lites 4 piston calipers on the back  13  inch rotors cooling ducts front and back .  Hawk dct 70 pads  on the front and dct 60 on the back I can not stress enough how important the brakes are on a heavier high horse power car ,,, you just have to be able to stop . Tires will start to heat cycle out  and will get slower  but yes you can get a whole season out of them., Although I think 2 sets  would be much better , in a perfect world I would have new tires every race weekend ...( not in my budget )  I will also  add Castrol srf  brake fluid is the absolute best  money can buy  it has the highest boiling point of all brake fluids . It is 70  bucks per litre but worth every penny , it is awesome stuff. See Frank at drivers edge he stocks it and is a great guy who  supports grass roots racing and the sccbc , Go see him he has plenty of good insight  and carries all the safety gear you would need ., and can order in  anything  you may need  fo4r your project . The A6 tires are faster than the R6   but the R6  will not heat cycle out as fast as the A6. I like the A6  for race and R6 for practice and qualify  If you only use the A6 for races they might last you the season.   Tire rack in the states has good prices on the hoosiers . Also if you buy new get them pre heat cycled they will last a little longer . Hope this helps. Contact me anytime tschiewe@shaw.ca if you have any questions I can help you with  Todd

summer_fun.jpg (81 KB | 395 )
summer_fun.jpg

IP Logged

Darwin
Novice

BC
Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 9:18am

4 piston Performance Friction calipers & pads all around with 14"/13" rotors.  Cooling ducts from front bumper to front rotors.  ATE dot 4 fluid.  As Todd says, you need to be able to stop.  These brakes completely changed the nature of the car.

IP Logged

krdale
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 2:16pm

Mike . . . if you want to talk about Mustangs give me a call  . . .  604 538 1718. My son and I have run a fox body for several years now.   regards Dale   

IP Logged

Mike McGarry
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 6:00pm

krdale wrote on Oct 21st, 2014 at 2:16pm:
Mike . . . if you want to talk about Mustangs give me a call  . . .  604 538 1718. My son and I have run a fox body for several years now.   regards Dale   

Richard Barg mentioned you...thanks for the note. I will definately give you a call.
Thank you !!!

IP Logged

Mike McGarry
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #14 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 6:05pm

2muchfun247 wrote on Oct 20th, 2014 at 7:28am:
Hi Mike  My corvette has 6 piston baer brakes  14 inch rotors  on the front and and wildwood super lites 4 piston calipers on the back  13  inch rotors cooling ducts front and back .  Hawk dct 70 pads  on the front and dct 60 on the back I can not stress enough how important the brakes are on a heavier high horse power car ,,, you just have to be able to stop . Tires will start to heat cycle out  and will get slower  but yes you can get a whole season out of them., Although I think 2 sets  would be much better , in a perfect world I would have new tires every race weekend ...( not in my budget )  I will also  add Castrol srf  brake fluid is the absolute best  money can buy  it has the highest boiling point of all brake fluids . It is 70  bucks per litre but worth every penny , it is awesome stuff. See Frank at drivers edge he stocks it and is a great guy who  supports grass roots racing and the sccbc , Go see him he has plenty of good insight  and carries all the safety gear you would need ., and can order in  anything  you may need  fo4r your project . The A6 tires are faster than the R6   but the R6  will not heat cycle out as fast as the A6. I like the A6  for race and R6 for practice and qualify  If you only use the A6 for races they might last you the season.   Tire rack in the states has good prices on the hoosiers . Also if you buy new get them pre heat cycled they will last a little longer . Hope this helps. Contact me anytime tschiewe@shaw.ca if you have any questions I can help you with  Todd

Thanks for all the info Todd ! Glad to hear the tires have more than 30 laps of life !! Need to plan accordingly on the brakes. I will defo be reaching out to you once I get past the gutting, adding cage and seat stage. Car is Auto too...so a T5 is in the works too. Hope to have those stages done by xmas, and work on susp and brakes early calendar year.
Thanks Again !
-Mike

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print