HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
JDM car classes (Read 16,625 times)
TECHMAN
Ex Member

Re: JDM car classes
Reply #15 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 11:20am

If the original intent was to allow a make/model sold in North America, the wording should be in one of the old rule books. I don't recall any wording of that nature.
As I recall the first set of IP rules were written in about 1998. The intent then was to word them in such a way to prevent "1 ofs" from competing in this class.
The rules requiring the car to be produced for North America were this way as far back as 2006.
I stick with GTS as the class.

IP Logged

Lug
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #16 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 11:41am

Which is kind of the problem .... the Honda-centric rules from a decade past need to be revisited.  Smiley  But that's kind of digressing a bit.

Really though, if the JDM equivalent model is essentially the same as the North American version (or anything different on the JDM-spec version would be a legal modification on the NA equivalent) then the RHD version should be allowed.

My 2 cents.   

IP Logged

Lug
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #17 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 11:43am

... I go back to the, if he was sitting on the Left-hand-side of the car instead of the right would you have won the race?

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #18 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 12:15pm

Lug, we're talking about two different things.  You're talking about what the rules *should* be, I am talking about what's actually written in the rulebook.

Again, I agree with you that it would be lame to protest a car just because the driver is on the wrong side.  I would still expect the driver of such a car to lose a protest made against him, simply because it does not meet the letter of the rules.

Go to the next CACC AGM and propose a change that will allow RHD imports into IP, provided that the car is otherwise identical to a model that was sold in North America, and I will gladly vote in favour of the change.

P.S.  For the 1993-1995 RX7, which is the one we're talking about, the JDM car made 10 HP more than the USDM one.  And if 1996+ JDM RX7 were imported, the horsepower difference would be even greater.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Lug
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #19 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 12:24pm

Grin

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 12:25pm

It would not take fellow competitor to protest this car. The Scrutineers are very good at the right/left thing.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #21 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 6:11pm

With the proliferation of JDM cars on the market and their greatly cheaper prices in most cases, I think I will be putting forth a rule change proposal in the fall as mentioned previously.

As with the example of the JDM 3rd gen RX7 having 10 more horsepower, I think that difference can be easily erased with the tuning and other changes allowed for the IP classes. I could see the 1997 and newer RX7's probably not being allowed as those model years were not available in North America.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #22 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 10:40pm

The idea of having any car that was not designed for the North American market goes against the the original idea of the IP rules. No "one ofs"!! The car you have may not be the best car for the class and it may not even be eligible. Cars that do not fit have an "out" under the current rules.
Cacc race rule 18.2.G

G. Under unusual circumstances, it may be reasonable to permit a competitor to deviate from an official specification provided such variance would clearly
be of no consequence to either the safety or performance of the affected
vehicle. Permission may only be granted by the Chief Steward in consultation with the chief Scrutineer. All variances must be noted in thevehicle logbook and designated "permanent‟ or "temporary‟.

IP Logged

Lug
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #23 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 10:04am

I'll be there....

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #24 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 11:42am

The rules are written as they are to help ensure competitive fairness amongst the participants. Ensuring competitive fairness also implies the ability to police the vehicles compliance and competitive advantages that would otherwise exist  between two similar vehicles from different domestic production runs. One could make a case for one particular vehicle as being identical in every respect. While I challenge that to be true, the same cannot be said for all vehicles competing in IP, therefore you would be asking for an exception for one vehicle which goes against the spirit of the rule. Further, as mentioned earlier, I would challenge one's ability to prove that every component of a foreign domestic vehicle is exactly the same not only in dimension, but material as well.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

n8
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #25 - Jun 19th, 2011 at 11:15am

Great to see lots of discussion on this topic.

Say I was trying to compete in IP1 with a JDM FD Series 6.. would anyone currently in IP1 protest the car?

If they did.. could I put in a ballast to make it 'even' ?

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #26 - Jun 19th, 2011 at 7:03pm

The rules are as they are written. Wishes for change do not count. RHD cars and other cars that were not produced for the North American market are not eligible for any of the IP classes. GTS is for these cars. The car does not have to be protested to be declared non compliant. The Scrutineers are pretty good at this checking. Adding ballast to make it even is not an option under the current rules.

IP Logged

a.senna
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #27 - Jun 19th, 2011 at 7:14pm

I would let you run as there is really such a small difference (10 hp) that tuning, set up, and driver would make the difference. And its very easy for the american car to install the jap ecu, turbo wheel and nobody would ever know.  And the specs are only a concern to another competitor with the same stock  north american car competing against you, of which there are EXACTLY ZERO at mission. I will gladly donate some NA spec turbos/ecu's  if that was to be a complaint by anyone.  Those turbos ( jdm and na) are all junk and make very little power.

Lets get the car count up in ip, and the stock turboed rx7 isn't even competitive in ip1 in my experience .

Eventually i would single turbo it, run slicks, lighten it and run gtm/spm. But that adds to the cost for someone starting out.

IP Logged

Pigpen
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

BC
Reply #28 - Jun 20th, 2011 at 10:28am

Just a thought, but if you are on a budget you may be better off buying a car that is already legal and has a log book (many are for sale at reasonable prices). Although I know the enjoyment of building a car, I also know the headaches involved. Most first time builders usually do something wrong, this usually adds to the cost (not to mention the time before you get to play).

All that said, if you buy a car that hasn't been raced in a few years you may need to make safety related changes (changes to the roll cage, add a fuel cell or fire system, etcetera) - but this consideration comes into negotiated price. Always make sure you get the log book for a car you buy.

WWW olddatsunracer pigpen510  
IP Logged

Fastist12
Senior Racer

Passinu

Reply #29 - Jun 20th, 2011 at 5:32pm

I agree with Jordy.  As a CACC Lic Holder You can propose a rule change and the Lic Holders can vote on on. All JDM Make and models are Completly different cars than the cars sold in North America .  Its not just the driving position,,,,, My Vote would  be NO

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print