Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Selecting a Car for IP? (Read 14,035 times)
Tim Rosche
Pro Circuit

Home of Road Racing in B.C.
Re: Selecting a Car for IP?
Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 8:01am

Darwin,
You rented my CRX during the race in Aug. You said to contact you if I ever want to sell it. Well I am seriously thinking of selling it, or I could rent it to you for the season, and thus eliminate the need for you to store and haul the car and all the parts etc.
Call me and maybe we can come up with some kind of deal.
Tim
CRX Si #168

Am I getting under your skin yet? Good. Then my plan is working

IP Logged

Darwin
Novice

BC
Reply #16 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 1:05pm

Larry - a 4th gen F-Body would be very nice, for sure.  Thanks for the info!  But, I'm guessing the tires/brakes costs would be pretty much the same as for my Vette.  If I had a bigger budget I'd likely be inclined to consider these options, but I think they're both out of my reach at this point.

Jordy - good to know.  Money & time...

Paul - PM replied.

Thanks again for all the input, Guys!  I've been getting some interest, doing some more research & crunching numbers through the budget this weekend.  Making progress...

Cheers,
Darwin.

CACC Senior | 99 Corvette FRC | IP1/GTO

IP Logged

LateApex
Spectator

Reply #17 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 6:46pm

Hey Darwin;

I have actually had some thoughts about selling the camaro for a race car again as well, the 4th gens LS1 cars like mine are nice but hard to run against the porsches or corvettes. My car is under-prepared for IP1 and with the full interior, a/c, etc it weights 3550lbs and runs best of 1:16s at mission, even stripped out with some better spring rates it would be hard to run under 1:14s with this car, I think some of the IP1 vettes have run 1:12s in the past. plus the vettes are lighter thus better on brakes and tires.
The other thing is 4x295 or 315 tires will be very tight fit into a f-body with a cage - I drive to mission but have the tires brought in a truck

I have run a few cars around mission when I had a race licence and would suggest to rent a couple rides to see what you like. Dont rule out a trailer, I would like a properly built light tube car that I could tow to mission with the family minivan, with a trailer that will fit in the garage.

A guy like you should consider a formula car as well, I would love one but I just dont fit.

Later

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 7:26pm

I was waiting for someone else to drop the formula car bomb, so there we go!

Have a look at recent lap times in the vees, there's no cheaper way to run 1:18's that I know of Wink

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Reply #19 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 12:29pm

Check your PM's!

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

Darwin
Novice

BC
Reply #20 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 6:20am

Larry - thanks for the link, the cage in that Camaro is particularly impressive.  Looks like the dash may not be IP legal, unfortunately.  Looks like a good deal, but it would need to be trailered for sure (it would never be registerable in Canada), and the transport costs would factor in.  There sure are some smoking deals in the US, eh?

Scott & Tiago - I hear you, I could wrap my head around a FF, I rented a FV for a novice race last year and it sure is a different animal from the 345 HP Vette...  That would take some re-learning before I could get anywhere near the 18's.  I'd need an enclosed trailer in order to be able to store the wheels & such - and would need to find somewhere to store the trailer.  Gets into the infrastructure arms-race again...

I've been crunching numbers & making notes and phone calls this weekend, and still need to get in touch with a few folks that have contacted me, I really appreciate all the feedback!

Cheers,
Darwin.

IP Logged

Darwin
Novice

BC
Reply #21 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 10:07am

Hey Gang,

It's been a month, and a few things have happened (like not making it to the last event and not being able to talk to you all in person).  And as it turns out, I have a terminal EBTCM fault on the Vette and replacement parts are only available used (for $600-$1500 USD on eBay with no real guarantee of how long they'll last), and no one rebuilds these particular units.

As not having ABS, Traction Control, and Active Handling takes a significant chunk out of the already depreciated resale value of my car (roll bar & mileage considered), and makes selling it to buy a prepped car and a replacement DD considerably less reasonable, and factoring in that I'd have to disable those systems for IP anyways...

I've decided to continue the transformation of my car from DD through SoloSprint and into an IP1 car.  Not the most cost-effective way to get into the sport, but what the hell - you only live once!

So, I've been working on assembling the infrastructure (small tire trailer, hitch for the Vette, spare wheels, and a place to store the trailer), and while still doing SoloSprint, will be working on getting the car ready for Tech by mid-summer so that I can do my last Novice & first Senior race in the car in Aug.  As I've already done some prep for SoloSprint, the transformation is about half-complete already.  There will always be more to do over the years to continue to improve the car, but this will get me up and running in a known entitiy without having to trailer the car (just the wheels) - and it also relieves me of the hassle of trying to sell it.

I certainly appreciate all the input, advice, and offers over the last month and a half - I'll probably be back to the well several times for more input during the transformation.  Good luck with all your winter projects - I suddenly have a bunch of work to do...

Cheers,
Darwin.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print