Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Virtual Rivers Edge Roadcourse (Read 30,134 times)
spudrace
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Re: Virtual Rivers Edge Roadcourse
Reply #15 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 1:40pm

looks great, I also have photo's on my webpage www.martinsactionphotography.smugmug.com If there are any u need just let me know[

IP Logged

Neteye
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Germany
Reply #16 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 12:56pm

This is the list of buildings/structures i found on photos, videos and satelite images, along with some guessing. I also attached a (sorry, very big again) picture so you can see what i mean with the names i came up with. If there are other structures that i missed, please tell me (and make photos Wink ). Best would be Pictures from all sides (front back left right...) angles (frontleft, frontright..), maybe important details, hard to tell from a distance. Details like the logos on the S/F flagstand (got them already, just example), or the 50km/h signs in the pitlane are very welcome if you stumble upon them. Good would also be if there is something next to the structure with a known height, for scaling.

This is a HUGE request, i am very aware of that, and i will have a lot of work to do, if i want to capture the atmosphere and feel of the track in racing simulations that way. It is also the first time that i have such a chance to make a project like that, but with so many helpfull people like you, i hope this is possible.

And as it is this huge, please try to organize who captures what, i dont think that one of you can make pictures from all of the structures. Maybe one covers the "Backyard Area", one the dragstrip buildings, one the paddock and so on.

I wish you all of luck for your races, good weather (ill try to send that awesome weather from sunday at Hockenheim to you), and most important, be safe out there!
Peer

Overview_new_small.jpg (381 KB | 391 )
Overview_new_small.jpg

IP Logged

Neteye
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Germany
Reply #17 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 12:57pm

MH=Marshal Hut

Turn1 MH plattform with pavilion?

Turn2 exit Sponsor Banners (Sherine, IWE+Abbsry)

Turn3 Dragstripp End/Runoff
Turn3 MH before turn 3
Turn3 MH2 between turn 3+4 to the left

Turn5 MH if there is one?
Turn6 MH

Turn7 MH

Rallycross Tower
Rallycross Stands
Rallycross Building

Randall Building

S/F Grandstands
S/F Flagstand height?
Turn2 Grandstands (similar to S/F Stands?)
S/F MH plattform, between grandstands
Floodlights along Start/Finish

Pitbuilding1 (2 40ft container+tent between, 2 20ft container on sides+platform on one?)
Pitbuilding2 all sides
Pitbuilding3 20ft container as garage?
Pitbuilding4 arch formed tent?
Pitbuilding5 green high tent + 20ft container?

Pit Hut, entering pitlane, on the right
Dragstrip finish/end signs
Dragstrip/Paddock end building
Dragstrip/Paddock end Grandstands

Backyard Building 1 (close to Turn7)
Backyard Building 2 (close to Turn8)
Backyard Building 3 behind BYB2
Backyard Building 4 behind BYB3
Backyard Building 5 behind BYB4
Backyard Trucks? Tents? RVs?

Dragstrip Stand Mid R   (similar?)
Dragstrip Stand Start R (similar?)
Dragstrip Stand Start L (similar?)
Dragstrip House at Start
Dragstrip Start
Dragstrip Building 1 (closer to backyard)
Dragstrip Building 2
Dragstrip Building 3 (Start L)
Dragstrip Building 5 behind R Grandstands

IP Logged

RadioRon
Novice

Langley BC
Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 10:44am

Here is a rough attempt to describe the rise at turn 3.  the attached picture has some hand drawn contours on it, at 3 inch intervals.  Note that the exit area comes down much slower than the entry comes up.

Ron

turn_3_elevations.jpg (244 KB | 377 )
turn_3_elevations.jpg

IP Logged

Neteye
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Germany
Reply #19 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 6:38am

Thank you Ron, i will try to bring that into the virtual track.
Attached is a picture of the now textured marshal hut in turn 2  Smiley

T2_MH_2.jpg (70 KB | 373 )
T2_MH_2.jpg

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #20 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 7:46am

You may want to contact SCCBC member Paul Bunbury as he has surveyed the track on behalf of the club. I don't know whether he went into great detail on the elevations, but one could always ask. Also, I believe the track layout on the survey--knowing Paul--would be extremely accurate.

Of course, I'm sure there would have to be some form of release of this information by the club exec as well.

And I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but there are some fantastic aerial footages of races at the track that provide a different perspective that could be of value to you. I know some of them are posted on this forum.

Interesting work you're doing,

Lorenzo

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

Turning Point
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #21 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 1:38pm

Peer, thanks for your work on our humble track and this nearly 1million square km Province's one and only permanent road course. I've known about the track build for a while but it's cool you're putting so much work into it!
Some notes.

- Need more Rallycross for 2015!  Wink   ( It's really just a moto-x track though )
- I prefer turn 2 being called Greg Moore Turn although I suspect this was just a quick map you made only for our reference. When I got my first win I pointed up to the clouds through that corner and had 'something' in my eyes. I'm sure Greg + the corner name mean as much or more to the others as they do to me since I've only been in the club a relatively short time.

P.S. Have any spare beds at your house? hehe. I learned how to drive fast on a virtual Nordschleife so I'm very jealous of your location. A lifetime ago I first used the ring to practice for rally since there's so many fast blind corners and elevation changes. Thousands and thousands of hours there on simulators over the years, in every car imaginable. Gran Turismo Academy winner's have now proven the viability and cost savings of sim training for future pro racers. (first look up Jann Mardenborough, Lucas Ordonez if anyone wants to argue)

... Wow. While checking the spelling of the names above I learned that I missed out on the final cdn spot at GT academy by .2 seconds. 4 positions off my first shot at a funded pro racing career through Nismo. All while using my tired out 10 year old logitech G25 vs the T500rs (pricey but better wheel) and not practicing enough for months, as Canada wasn't included in the final contest in the past. So close! For 2015 I've been going all out, but I'm extra motivated with this very new knowledge. (7 canadians originally ahead of me were not eligible it turns out)

Also, while on the topic of the 'ring, iRacing is adding the nordschleife sometime in the future and are offering a discount or free membership depending if you're a new member or renewing.

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #22 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 6:56pm

This is very cool,   Couple details. The in car view of the concrete walls appears to be a little high. this would be more like the perspective when in a formula or sports  racing car . Also there is a small rise to the track front turn 7b to turn 8 and then a small drop between turn 9 and the front straight.

Roland Stec
VP operations
SCCBC

IP Logged

Neteye
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Germany
Reply #23 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 3:39am

Hi there Smiley

I dont want to put pressure on you, but i just wanted ask if anyone had the time to take some pictures, i havent heard from you yet.

At the moment, the virtual concrete walls are 1,1m high (3ft 7in if i googled that right). Its easy to resize them, so what their real height?

I tried to replicate the elevation changes in Turn 3 and the 7-9 area, also Turn 2 is now correctly named Greg Moore Turn ingame, as you can see on the attached track map Smiley

I've been to the (foggy) Nordschleife on Saturday, they even red flagged the 4h race for 90min. It was a great experience, met some really nice people and enjoyed to see a team a friend is working with win again after 7 years.

Peer
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2014 at 4:55am by Neteye »  

P1050487k.jpg (186 KB | 386 )
P1050487k.jpg
MissionRaceway.jpg (290 KB | 389 )
MissionRaceway.jpg

IP Logged

spudrace
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #24 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 2:29pm

Have u got an email address I can send u some photo's of the track/buildings I took at last race of season

IP Logged

Neteye
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Germany
Reply #25 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 1:35am

Thank you very much spudrace, the email address is neteye@bier-buden.de  Smiley

IP Logged

racestec
Pro Circuit

winning isn't everything
but losing sucks

Reply #26 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 9:32am

Hello Peer,
I measured the walls that line the circuit. They are exactly 76 Centimeters tall.
Great work on the virtual track!
Ray.

Ray Stec

IP Logged

Neteye
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Germany
Reply #27 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 8:43am

Hi!
Thanks for the info Ray, i will shrink the walls a bit then.
I allso found some time to work on the track again, so i present you the announcers stand and the starters stand  Smiley
If anyone knows the sponsors on the left of the ladder from the starters stand please tell me so i can add them.
And if you have more photos of the tracks buildings, please contact me!

SF_Flagstand.jpg (155 KB | 361 )
SF_Flagstand.jpg
PB1.jpg (130 KB | 361 )
PB1.jpg

IP Logged

spudrace
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #28 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 10:27am

Looks good, glad you could use some of the photo's

IP Logged

n8
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #29 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 5:02pm

Thank you for your hard work with this, looks awesome and we're all looking forward to doing some virtual laps!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print