Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
CW1 Video from last weekend (Read 25,605 times)
Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
CW1 Video from last weekend
Jun 10th, 2013 at 7:44am

Here is the battle with a BMW , RX7, and a Civic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV5r_0RHiTg

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Re: CW1 Video from last weekend
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 9:42am

Thanks for posting Chris.

Too bad the video missed Adam taking out the tires. I really wanted to see that.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

Miodino
Spectator

Back on track!

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 11:04am

Here is my in-car from Saturday's CW1 that has Redavid's impact into the tire barrier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Zd3K3KN-k

Not sure if anyone else feels the same but that tire barrier seems to be a bit dangerous when reviewing the vid.  If Redavid missed the corner and blew through some cones, no biggie but when he hit the tires it brought them onto the track and left nowhere for Doodson and I to go.  Potentially a safety issue?

But the best video from last weekend by far is the B-spec racing feature!  We need to pump this one to everyone.  What a great presentation of our track and sport to anyone not aware of what we're doing out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewSF3KrRgCg

www.facebook.com/MioDinoRacing  
IP Logged

2muchfun247
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Richmond B.C.
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 1:40am

I was behind Chris and Dino and I can honestly say  being the 3rd car behind Adams spin , It was more difficult to navigate safely with Adam facing me and a tire wall on the track .....I managed it but it was a little unsettling ..just my 2 cents    Thx Todd #124

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 5:57am

Sorry guys, I don't see the issue here.. What if Adam had slid his tail out coming through 6 and bounced the back of his car off the concrete wall and spun out between the 2 walls and blocked the track? I think it would have been even more unsettling to the drivers behind him with
their foot to the floor coming out of 6, than in a much more open area like 7b.

There are hazards and obstacles all over the track, and as drivers you are required to have the skill to navigate them at speed.The tire bundles are off the racing line, like any other object that surrounds the track. At least they are rubber, and not a solid, nearly immovable object like the concrete blocks that surround much of the track.

Unfortunately, we had far too many drivers treating the inside of 7B like a shortcut because it was paved and easy to drive over, and everyone knew they could get away with it for a couple of laps before being called in. Compared to some of the other options, the tires are the best option that seems to work.

My 2 cents.., oops no more pennies in Canada. ...my 5 cents...

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 11:07am

I think it is worth noting that it was another drivers error that brought about the situation, not the tires.
The tire bundle is the lesser of many evils and it has worked very well this year.
As previously stated there are lots of hazards at a race track and it is up to you as a race driver to hone your skills to avoid them.
As a formula car driver I'm acutely aware of 'hard objects' at track side, the tires are just something else to drive around while trying to put in a good lap!

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 2:59pm

I will chime in because I was the driver faced with a moving tire bundle.
I like to think when a car spins in front of me , I can figure out where the car is heading and with enough time avoid him. add in a second large tire bundle moving around and now Im trying to figure out where two out of control things are going. Not to mention Im hard on the brakes and hoping to not get tagged from behind
THIS WAS A BAD FEELING !

IP Logged

240CJ
Novice

In like a Lamb, out like
a Lion...

Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2013 at 9:18pm

Hey Guys,

I was in this race and faced the tire bundle unexpectedly too. I think the tires are a good idea and  necessary to stop the driving straight over the 2nd curb. If the bundle could be anchored with chains down the center, we could potentially avoid having the bundle out in the track where there is little room already.

Just a thought.............

From amateur to pro, cars sometimes get a little sideways. Adam's not the first or last to get lose through there.

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 2:17pm

I appreciate and understand that there are obstacles, and in a track like Mission, some are impossible to avoid. But I feel like the general rule in track design over the last.. decade (?) has been to eliminate things you can hit and increase run off, not add more stuff to hit.

I guess exclusively driving a formula car made me unaware that this corner was such a big problem. I don't see many open wheel cars cutting 7b on purpose..

I have, once or twice in the rain, blown 7a completely and ended up having to go straight over the 7b curb, exactly where the tires are now. It hurts, and I have the bent trailing arms to prove it, but with the new tire bundle, that would likely be the end of my season. Like you guys have mentioned, so would crashing into any of the numerous cement walls, but.. I'm not terribly excited about yet another opportunity to get into $$$ trouble.

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 10:53am

Hello racers.
                this issue has been discussed many times,  A number of different methods have been tried to keep drivers from simply shortcutting the curbs and straight lining 7b.
  cones did not work, they were quickly scattered all over the place, although filling one with concrete was suggested. The "storm strips " were driven over, so now we have the tire bundle.
  The key is to have a deterant  but also have something that will not destroy or sevarley damage a car that hits them in event of a spin into 7b. The tires do work as a deterent  they do move when hit,  however anchoring them could cause a roll over if a car slides into them sideways.
   Perhaps we need tire spikes that puncture tires when rolled over but will lay flat if you slide over them? Shocked

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 3:47pm

I don't think tires should be used for anything more than safety barriers, if guys are cutting the corner then maybe we should look at putting a BIG BAJESUS SUPER HIGH curb there that will not be so nice on the car that goes across it.
Tires bundles that move into the racetrack are not the best solution and I think tieing the tires down may cause worse issues.

IP Logged

Jeff
Senior Racer

go speed racer!!

Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 10:44am

Sorry, but putting in a moving barrier can't be an option. You got lucky with this incident, not good. Had Dude hit the tires head on, there would have been very real damage to his car, and maybe to him.

How about just enforcing the rules, rolled up black flag the first time, flag them in the second time. I don't see a row of tires separating pit in, yet if you go four wheels over the painted line more than once, you will be flagged in, what is the difference?

Make the curb bigger (like Portland did at the end of the back straight) on the off season and people will get it without endangering the rest of the field, which is what this tire bundle is doing.

can't wait to see a pro3 race stop and start as they fix the tires 3-4 times a race.....with 36 cars on the track, you don't think 3-4 cars will be taken out?

Jeff

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 7:17pm

Tire bundles should only be used to protect drivers from impacting a dangerous immovable object. . Tracks all over the world are moving to paved runoff areas as they've proved to be the most effective way of scrubbing off speed before an impact. It seems counter intuitive to me that one would take a seemingly ideal corner with respect to safety and install a barrier that will undoubtably have countless impacts with possible dire consequences. Safety should supersede any perceived competitive advantage that we're trying to discourage.
There are many alternatives, some suggested above that could be deployed to discourage competitors from cutting the corner without adding safety concerns. Larger curbing is one, no one wants to punish the undercarriage of their race car.
Any addition that increases the possibility of an unsafe impact, which this clearly is as evidenced by the video footage, should be avoided and is untenable.

Thanks for listening

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 7:58pm

I think you guys need to watch a few more races; tires are used on the apex of corners all around the world, Infineon Raceway, Baltimore, Sydney, Darwin, Oulton Park, just for starters.
The fact is the system has worked very well all year except this one unusual incident ( the RX7 hitting the tires while completely sideways). The good news is the Curt curbs weren't there, they would probably have caused the car to roll!
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2013 at 9:21pm by Keith Robinson »  

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

db
Senior Racer

What would Johnny Canuck
do?

Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 8:45pm

I know we're not a pro racing series, but I was working the front straight in Baltimore in 2012.  There is a light rail line that bisects the track, in 2011 they built a chicane to slow the cars down.  In 2012 the promoter consulted the drivers and the consensus was they wanted to try it without the chicane.  After one session on Friday they knew they would have to put the chicane back in.  On Friday afternoon the built a chicane with tire bundles and only one ALMS car hit the tires in the afternoon.
Overnight they put in curbing and the cars started getting two wheels up on the curbing immediately, and before long cars were launching off the second set of curbing into the wall.  All except for the ALMS cars that is, the ALMS stewards put the tire bundles back out for their race and there was only one car in the wall, and that was on the opposite side of the track when a prototype put a Porche into the wall for unknown reasons.

On Sunday the Indycar Stewards put the tire bundles in the chicane and there were no further incidents of cars short cutting the 2nd corner and going into the wall.

This issue came up when I was on the executive, and one of the biggest problems with issuing penalties for short cutting the curbing would be the issue of fairness.  As short handed as we are for workers on most weekends, and as hard as the marshalls would try to catch everyone who short cut the corner, some would get called and some would not.  My argument was that this would lead to an inconsistancy in the penalty being reported.  If two or three cars went through in a row, the trailing cars would obscure the view of the marshalls in T7. 

Tire bundles may not be the perfect solution, but the other deterents have not been effective in keeping cars from short cutting the turn.  Bigger curbs could cause roll overs, nobody wants those either.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print