Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
CW1 Video from last weekend (Read 25,612 times)
Pigpen
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

BC
Re: CW1 Video from last weekend
Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 1:48pm

As someone who had been on Track Ops the last few years I can confirm that that many solutions were talked about for 7b. One of the things we have to take into consideration is that the area where 7a through 9 are is used as a paddock area for other events (drag racing and motocross) so our landlords (BCCCA) limit what permanent alterations we can make to that area – this rules out higher curbs and a host of other suggestions made in the past. IMHO the tire barriers are the best solution, they also have a lot of give when they aren’t against a wall, so I doubt there would have been significant damage to Doodson’s car (certainly far less damage than hitting another car). At Westwood cars regularly hit tire walls with little or no injury to drivers (I have actually experienced impact with a tire wall head on – although some idiot filled the tires with clay because they did not want them to move, so my car did sustain damage, however I was fine). Unfortunately at mission most our tire walls are backed up with less forgiving concrete barriers (the tires just cushion the blow with the concrete, they don’t eliminate it).

WWW olddatsunracer pigpen510  
IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 4:45pm

I will check with Marc to see if we can put a remote transponder pick up on that side of the Inside of 7b. all CW cars would have to mount the transponder on the right side of the car ( OW cars don't do the shortcut)

RS

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #17 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 8:18pm

I hope you're kidding....

I won't get into the technicalities of why that won't work. but you could use an inductive loop that triggers a camera, much like a red light camera... but we won't be mailing the infraction to you. you'll have to talk to Pam.  Wink

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #18 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 4:30pm

Can this be self policed? If someone cuts the corner in front of you and you have video evidence, protest it. Sure, it'll turn into a bitching fest, but it should be fun for a while!

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Jeff
Senior Racer

go speed racer!!

Reply #19 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 5:23pm

Hitting a tire wall takes place off of the regular racing surface, not on it. I don't disagree with the tire bundle, I just don't think it safe or prudent to let it move onto the racing surface. fastening it down would be the safest option in my opinion. Hit it, damage your car, but it won't end up on the racing surface for some one to either hit, stop to avoid and be hit, or take evasive manouvers and hit or be hit by someone/something else.

Yes,  these exist on other race tracks around the world (I do watch allot of racing), but are you sure they are loose and not fastened in place?

Before making statements that minimizes the estimated damage to a car, please take the time to calculate the force of impact, you WILL be surprised, I sure was. I do know what it would do to one of our cars, its over $2500 just in fiber glass, coolers and tin. Want to guess what it would be for an open wheel car?

I know its a tough item to fix, and I know many things have been tried, but in my opinion, which may be in the minority, it could use some improvement to eliminate the possibility of this 600lb (est 30 tires at 20lb per tire) item from getting on the racing surface due to contact. Safety before all else.

BTW, have there been allot of protests about cutting 7B? I have seen the pit in line addressed in the supps, but don't recall 7B mentioned, but I totally could have missed it....

Flaaaaaammmme ON!

Jeff

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #20 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 5:27pm

Hello All    We may be able to secure the bundle by a rope " leash" . such that if hit by a siding car it would move back and swing away from the track via the anchor point which would be 10 to 15 feet to the inside of the turn. this way the bundle would not be able to pushed onto the track surface

rs

IP Logged

Jeff
Senior Racer

go speed racer!!

Reply #21 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 9:31am

Interesting idea, but the rope is a hazard if a car straight lines the corner. How about just mounting through the bottom tires into some flush mount anchors into the concrete/asphalt? easily removed and reinstalled if you put the bolts back in to keep debris out of the anchor hole. Steel band with a hole in it should keep the bolt from ripping through the tire at the bottom. You still have allot of give in the tires, they just wont move onto the racing surface as a unit.
I will even come out and assist the install and make up the steel.

Input?

Jeff

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #22 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 9:37am

I don't mind the rope idea

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #23 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 11:17am

The problem with securing the bundle to the ground is the potential to flip a car that hits them sliding sideways.

IP Logged

Jeff
Senior Racer

go speed racer!!

Reply #24 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 12:02pm

then how about a short 4' tether?

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #25 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 9:36pm

Motorcyclists call ropes and such "cheese graters". I'll leave it to your imagination how an open wheeler and a rope could meet the same description.

Vancouver Indy had chicanes that one could have circumvented, but the used a row of tires running perpendicular to the apex but they were only one tire high. Very effective without seriously damaging a car or worse.

For those who have pictures of Indy it was the last chicane before the pit straights, check it out.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #26 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 9:47pm

Here

504-0440_IMG.JPG (65 KB | 321 )
504-0440_IMG.JPG

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

Alan_McColl
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #27 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 9:20am

I think everyone who thinks the tires are a problem should give there heads a shake. If you are that intimidated by the tires being there the you mite want to get out of racing because there are alot more dangerous spots on the track then that.
It seems to me you are suppose to adjust your speed & braking points to get around things not pretend they aren't there.
Does this mean the tires should be moved in turn 3 because we get a little close to them. Cry

IP Logged

2muchfun247
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Richmond B.C.
Reply #28 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 10:26am

SmileyI do not have a problem with the tire bundle at 7b I have a problem with tires flying in front of  me that really should not be needed ...but for a few who cut corners   .....I do not have the answer , but the idea of tires  flying front of me at speed   bothers me more than drivers straight lining 7a and 7b   Just seems to me that safety should come before any thing else .. Just a note I love racing and will race with or without the tires  and I am not complaining just one man's opinion  Thank you   Todd # 124 Smiley and for the record  I have not seen anyone straight line there .... so is there  really  that a big  problem  with people straight lining   7a and 7b that  we need to have the tires at all ?
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2013 at 4:08pm by 2muchfun247 »  

IP Logged

Jeff
Senior Racer

go speed racer!!

Reply #29 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 7:39pm

ya, I have issues with the dangers of racing.....sure.

We are all trying to find a constructive solution to the problem of tire bundles finding their way on track, not that the tires are there in the first place. if there is a valid reason for them to be there, and there must be, otherwise they wouldn't be, I have no problem with them being there. 

I do think it is a valid question, is cutting 7b really a big issue? other than ruining an alignment and suspension damage, are people complaining of an unfair advantage, or are we worried about damage to the track and driver safety (all valid issues by the way).

Alan, Probably not a good idea to call drivers out on the forum, especially when you don't know them or their experience level. Your point would have been better served without it.

Jeff

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print