Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
CW1 Video from last weekend (Read 25,607 times)
LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Re: CW1 Video from last weekend
Reply #30 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 9:22pm

"Alan, Probably not a good idea to call drivers out on the forum, especially when you don't know them or their experience level. Your point would have been better served without it."

Agreed, takes good discussion and raises a couple levels.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #31 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 7:41am

I like the solution in the photo from Indy. I'm sure we could come up with a series of tires strapped together and a couple of short tethers on the ground to keep things in place. 1 high stack of tires will do a lot less damage than the current stack and still provide ample incentive to drivers not to cut the corner.

Tether.gif (3 KB | 313 )
Tether.gif

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Reply #32 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 8:12am

That works for me...

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

Jeff
Senior Racer

go speed racer!!

Reply #33 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 11:09am

I like the idea as well, would love it if we could get rid of the forward tether, just can't see how.

Great idea!

Jeff

IP Logged

2muchfun247
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Richmond B.C.
Reply #34 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 3:24pm

Can we not just find a way to enforce the rules and eliminate the tires all together . I think it would be  safer to have that area open to use as a run off  in case of brake or mechanical  failure or even as an area for evasive maneuvers in case of a spin or contact in front of you . Sometimes you may have  no where else to go ... safety first . I would hate to be in an open wheel car and hit the tire bundle . it could be very painful and at the very least expensive .IF PEOPLE WOULD STOP CUTTING 7A AND 7B  WE WOULD NOT NEED THE TIRE BUNDLE  . WHAT HAPPENED TO HONOR AND INTEGRITY  .HOW CAN YOU ENJOY WINNING KNOWING YOU CHEATED BY CUTTING THE COURSE ! STOP THE CHEATERS AND THERE IS NO  NEED FOR THE TIRE BUNDLE .ENFORCE THE TRACK RULES ...NO MORE PROBLEM ! p.s  I will race with or without the tie bundle as my love for the sport is growing each and  every race weekend ..you could put a cement wall there and I am still racing ! I love this sport and mission raceway and all the people at the track  .. I greatly  appreciate everyone that makes it possible and safe  for me and everyone else to race .  Safety,  should always be our main concern not people cutting corners . Smiley

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #35 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 4:19pm

The whole reason the tires are there now is because the Exec and Stewards have been trying for years to get drivers to stop cutting the corner. Nothing has worked so far and this is now where we are. We will need to live with something there; it's just  matter of figuring out what will work the best.

Some drivers couldn't seem to obey the rules, so as per usual they spoil it for everyone else. It was causing a lot of additional radio calls that interfered with more important communications between the corners and Race Control.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

Alan_McColl
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #36 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 4:59pm

If anyone feels they are being called out on the forum and thinks that this isn't the place obviously missed the point.
If you can't learn how to drive around the tires by adjusting your entry regardless of your experience then you shouldn't be on the track.
So every time someone screws up we have to run out spend more money and time because they don't get the message.
With all the money thats been spent moving wall and widdening the track hasn't changed anything if you go off and hit the wall do we have to run out and buy air fences.
It's a dangerous hobby if you are intimidated by it it may not be for you. Whats next bubble wrap our cars.
If some one keeps running into the tires suspend them for 2 races they will get the message, if they don't then suspend them for a year. Cry

IP Logged

2muchfun247
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Richmond B.C.
Reply #37 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 5:14pm

Why let a few cheaters spoil it for the rest  and an extra hazard and safety issue ..when 7a and 7b is  one of the safest corners on the track with lots of room for error  !  Enforce the rules and put safety first ! As Stated before by someone else , no one is allowed to put 4 wheels over the pit entry line , and is not tolerated  . Is a busy intercom system  more important then safety ? Stop the cheaters   ! It cost a fair amount of money too do repairs due to a tire bundle being bounced in front of you and not to mention possible injury. I get it accidents happen and so do mistakes which can happen any where  on the track ,which  makes it all that more important  ,not to  add a extra hazard due  to cheaters ..punish them and we do not need the tire bundle on the track  at all  ! Again Safety should be first !

IP Logged

2muchfun247
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Richmond B.C.
Reply #38 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 5:27pm

It is not about driving around tires and  adjusting your entry  ,   when a mistake happens  ( and we all make them ) and what can happen after the fact !  It is about  adding extra hazards on the track. All  because of a few who cut corners.  Just suspend the cheaters who cut 7a And 7b  no more issue .Suspensions for hitting the tire bundle? Is that  any different then suspensions for hitting the cone ?  At least the cone is safer !  We do not allow  4 wheels over the pit entry line. Why can it not be enforced the same way? Everyone  will race regardless of the tire bundle . We all accept the risks of racing and that accidents happen and  that we could be seriously injured .  But why  add  the extra hazard  because people  who cut corners?

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #39 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 8:29pm

Out of curiosity I re-watched the video that brought about this whole conversation.

An experienced driver makes a mistake by entering the corner all wrong, then locks up the brakes while trying to turn the corner and hits the tires sideways!

Nobody got hurt and I don't think anyone else even hit the tires or any cars sustained any damage.
We need to redesign the track for this complete NON event; what nonsense!!
How many hundreds of times this year have racers passed those tires without hitting them?

And Al is right, if you can't drive around the corners without hitting something then take up knitting, it's much safer Wink.
And for those of you that turn up once a year of less, I don't think you should be suggesting changes anyway.
And one last point I have not seen any of the people suggesting changes working at the track for a loooong time. Angry

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

2muchfun247
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Richmond B.C.
Reply #40 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 9:12pm

We were lucky it was a none issue this time . It is not about being able to drive around the tire bundle . It  is the off chance  like with Adam  that the tires come on the track . I say again why do we conform to cheaters the curb is there so stay on the track ! I also do not think it a good idea to discourage  a topic  just because you disagree and then make comments about other peoples abilities  to drive or attend races  on a regular basis . I am new here and I understand that , but ,I am a sccbc member and  I have a  have an opinion  weather you agree with it or not.   Not such a  friendly way to treat new members by the way .  . We were fine last year with out the tire bundle ...is there really that many cheaters that we need it now ?         P.S.I have been to every race since my first novice race and do not plan on missing a single race ....So I guess you are stuck with me and my opinions

IP Logged

Jeff
Senior Racer

go speed racer!!

Reply #41 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 10:00pm

My apologies if I offended anyone, just trying to have a constructive discussion. In my opinion, racing around dubious hazards does not make anyone more of a race car driver than anyone who wishes to better the situation.
Frequency racing at Mission has little or nothing to do with the discussion, on the contrary, I would think it an asset in that a more rounded perspective can be offered. I know, we make it out to every ICSCC event in Mission, and have for the past 10 or so years, but we also make it to all of the other tracks in the region, racing at least 9-10 events per year (not including the Portland and 25 hour endure at Thunderhill). My opinion, as any other from racers, corner workers, etc. that may not make it out of the area, all are of value and, again in my opinion, should be viewed with respect.

I may be misinformed, but isn't the reason for the 7a-7b complex because the sanctioning body (FIA?) was concerned with the existing berm outside of turn 8, and would not allow the track configuration as originally designed? So, is the argument that because no one was allowed to hit the berm, the sanctioning body was wrong in it's decision? Do we have to wait until something, that we can logically see potential in, to happen before action is taken the rectify the situation? Does a driver have to attend every race at Mission and be an SCCBC member to voice a concern and offer constructive discussion points?

IF the corner workers find the issue immposible to deal with from a sanctioning point of view, than I like the one tire high idea, or maybe some removable plastic curbing perpendicular to the track. JUST MY OPINION.

Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff
Senior Racer

go speed racer!!

Reply #42 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 10:09pm

and by the way, it's not the driver hitting the tires that is of concern, it's the tires ending up in the middle of the track for the next guy who is ON the track that hit's them that is the issue. Read the posts, it's pretty clear.

Leave the tires, keep them off the track if the get hit. If they cant be made to stay where they are if hit, remove them or come up with a different solution. Racing around tires and berries has never been the point!!!
it's having them end up on the racing surface that is.

jeff

IP Logged

2muchfun247
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Richmond B.C.
Reply #43 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 10:25pm

Well said  Jeff !

IP Logged

Alan_McColl
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #44 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 10:04am

So the car that's pointed the wrong way on the track because he blew the enty is less of a danger to the 2nd & 3rd car than the tires.
As long as man is alive there will be as you say cheaters that will bend the rules which means the rest of the world pays the price.
There is plenty of run off room in that era to avoid any tires that mite get moved.

Like Sterling Moss said the more safety gear is giving the more invincibly drivers think they are thats why there is so much crash and burn driving today.

I hope the exec puts  an end to this and say the tires stay as is no more changes that's the way it is enough of the crying now. Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print